Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yeti 575 – why did it climb so well?
  • Suomi
    Free Member

GF is looking for new bike, and has tested quite a few recently. Was really surprised by how well 575 climbed, and wondered if anyone knew why? Ta!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’ve no idea,but it is a great climbing bike.

nasher
    Free Member

But not so great descending bike

Trimix
    Free Member

Geometry. Quite simple.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

nasher – rubbish, goes down well fast. What forks you running?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

theres another thread on this somewhere, could be something to do with the suspension extending under power?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mine is crap up hill… think it’s an engine problem though.

Goes well under gravity assistance though 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I bet JVC is your girlfriend.
    What does it matter “why” anyway? It’s just bloody great innit.
    (apart from the flex of course. YAWN )

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Nasher: are you unwell? The 575 is awesome downhill, it rides over everything.
    Climbing is good and the latest incarnation of the 575 climbes better than the ’06 shape.
    575 awesome!!! Go Yeti!!! eeer I’m getting carried away somebody stop m…

JVC
    Free Member

SweetJumps, I felt like the 575 was a bit ‘over the front’ on big steps and that the Lapierre floated down them with ease, inspiring confidence. Do you not get that feeling with the Yeti?

DezB
    Free Member

Slacker angles on the Lapierre probably. Also explains why the Yeti climbs better. If I was considering changing my Yeti I’d look at Lappierres, but it’s not going anywhere yet! 3 years on I’m still loving it.

charliemort

“over the front” on steps

well, the Lapierre Spicy has longer forks and slacker steering, plus a laid back seat-post, so the front will sit higher and your weight will be further back, so yes, should ride steps and very steep bits easier

stem length will have an effect too – if you had a longer stem on the Yeti it will pitch you further forward

Yeti with 160mm forks and short stem would be closer to the Spicy I think – I guess yours had 140mm forks on it? It is designed to take up to 160mm which slackens the angles and makes for a more “All Mountain” set up, but would probably feel a bit lazier up hill. I considered this for mine but decided 140mm was more appropriate about 95% of the time

the converse will be true up hill to an extent. The slightly more relaxed Spicy will probably feel a bit harder work – which seems to be what you experienced.

I think a consideration often ignored is the “along” mountain bit. Everyone talks about climbing and descending, but if a bike is harder work along the flattish bits, it will knacker you out. I think the Singletrack review suggested you had to work the Spicy pretty hard on the traverses

‘orses for courses

oh and I am 15 1/2 stone of burly rugby bloke. The old 575 was maybe a bit flexy, haven’t noticed any flex on the new one. I am no downhill God, but have a Motorbike Enduro background so don’t mess about – passed loads downhill at the Dyfi

so in conclusion

– 575 and Zesty are a better comparison
    – Spicy probably closer to the new Yeti 7 (burlier 7 inch version of 575)
    – be sure what you are experiencing isn’t due to something like stem length / riding position / fork length, rather than a difference in the frame

if that helps………….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 – why did it climb so well?’ is closed to new replies.