Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • yeti 575 opinions please!!
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking at one of these in 2007 form .

how do they ride , are the flexy??

how do they compare to the same era enduro??

cheers

steve

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don't get the carbon chainstays if you're above average weight. I found them too flexy (Mine was the previous model, with the 'hole' in it) and I sold it mainly because of that.

Otherwise, lovely bikes. Superbly made, tough paint, superb mile munchers (I did the Trans Wales on mine) and they climb well (You need to use the ProPedal switch a lot though) Not as supple under power as a Spesh FSR either, the back end 'digs in' rather than following the terrain like an FSR. Quite a high up bike too, no pedal strikes

I did find they need very careful set-up too. I've never had a bike that was so sensitive to tiny changes in set up before – Suspension, tyres, setem length, anything.

On the whole – Lovely bike, but an all day limmo, not an all mountain hucker.

I swapped a Stumpy FSR for my 575, then went back to another FSR (Pitch) because I prefer them, but that's just my opinion.

Compared to an Enduro, it'll be lighter, quicker, and higher up, but not as capable when the going gets tough

What sort of riding do you do?

renton
    Free Member

to be honest im not doing big drops or anything, in fact the knarliest stuff(get me!!) is afan and glycoowyg.

im looking at doing longer rides than i can on the enduro, but also want to be able to do a 2 foot drop if the need arises!!

my only concern is that at 18 stone (plus a bit for back pac etc) i might be a bit heavy and it might flex.

the one im looking at has alloy back end.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I was about 14.5-15 stone when I had mine, but you might be OK with the alloy stays.

Can you get a nice long test ride on it, or at least chuck it round some tight singletrack and see if the back end feels 'wallowy' ?

renton
    Free Member

im not sure if i can get more than ride around the car park before hand to be honest as we are going to meet halfway!!

would any flex be noticeable straightaway??

DezB
    Free Member

I think PP's covered most of it there. I have the old style (the best!) in the ali back end and yes, there's a bit of flex, compared to say an Enduro, but its not detrimental to the ride.
    The thing I love about my 575 is its versatility. Just as happy pootling around local tracks as it is trudging across the Alps for a week (was absolutely fantastic on that trip btw). Never feel "overbiked" (even though I hate that word)
    I've had mine coming up for 4 years and still don't feel any need to change it.

renton
    Free Member

cheers dezb, how heavy are you just out of interest??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He's less than me!

rockitman

I can't praise mine highly enough. In the last 2 weekends it has carried me round:

1. Hit The North – 2 hour race around north Manchester. Would have used the Scandal if it had been finished but it wasn't so I stuck the Bontrager wheels on, XT kit and a 1.5" tyre on the back and rode it on the Yeti. Managed a very respectable 5 laps.

2. Caersws Uplift Day – 6 hours of DH in the mud of mid Wales. Everyone else was on DH bikes, I stuck some Hope Tech M4's on, DT2350 wheels, Minions and had a go. OK I didn't do the road gap and I could have done with a much slacker head angle for the uber steep switchbacks but I had a great day.

3. 6 hour club ride round Staylebridge – Uphill and down dale. Left the DH kit on it as it was the next day and still managed to keep up with everyone. This type of ride is where it shines. It's a sit down and pedal bike that eats the miles. As the other poster has mentioned – stick propedal on for the climbs and off for the descents and it's awesome.

rockitman

Oh, BTW I'm 18st+ and I ride an XL with a carbon back end. Snapped one set of stays but that was due to the dogbone not being tightened up, was definitely not a carbon failure 🙂

renton
    Free Member

cheers rockitman that has put my mind at rest!!!

always loved them and this one has come up at the right price with a really good build spec.

dont get me wrong i like my enduro and i think its great now ive put the dhx coil on the back but i always feel overbiked for the type of riding i do (wyre forest,cannock and afan) and i want to start doing longer rides so i can get fitter too and oi dont think the enduro is the right bike to do that on.

plus the 575 is in team colours too!!!

DezB
    Free Member

renton – Member
    cheers dezb, how heavy are you just out of interest??

As long as its just out of interest and you're not chatting me up.. 13.5 stone. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

BTW – I demo'ed an 06 Enduro and though it felt much more planted on the dh (and bloody fast), I didn't find it as much fun. Climbing was a chore in comparison to the Yeti, which flies uphill.

wheelz
    Free Member

Be very careful with the sizes, as Yetis do come up large compared to other frames. Normally I ride a large frame at 6' but the large Yeti 575 (2007 model) was too long in the top tube for me. I always felt like I was too stretched out and too high up.

Nice bike though.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

^ mostly what they said;

frames come up large (I'd get a small and I'm 5'10", mrs Fascist has a XS or dwaaaf, as we call it)
    they're light
    comfy all dayer rather than trail hooligan
    Finishes are good (Mrs Fascist has the black ano one)

we haven't had any issues with the carbon back end but then Mrs Fascist is about 65kg.

Check the seat tube diameter. They are now 31.2 but used to be smaller and I think the change was made with the '08 model but not sure. Yeti said they changed the seattube diameter to allow the use of droppy seatposts but it also apparently stiffened up the rear end

I would certainly testride before you buy but if it suits you then they're a lovely bike

rockitman

Yep, they're huge. My XL is the biggest bike I could find, but I am 6' 6"

renton
    Free Member

ive been compairing sizes and the large 575 is roughtly the same size as my large enduro.

scruzer
    Free Member

Here's my '07. Great bike, very reliable suspension system. Perfect for trail riding – fast on descents and climbs exceptionally well too. No flex for me at 12 stone… 5'10 and medium is spot on

DezB
    Free Member

Tarty! ^^^ 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

And ready to ride!^^ If there was a down side it would be lack of tyre clearence at rear for 2.35 Pana Rampages. I do manage with 2.25 Cinders like

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I've heard of a few back-end snappages over on southern downhill forum… mostly larger guys I think,

shermer75
    Free Member

Had mine for about six months- I think it's played a blinder. I absolutely love it! Like the previous post said, it absolutely flies uphill. I have been on bikes with suppler back ends tho…I'm about 85kg w/o pack, no probs with the carbon back end so far…

Coasting
    Free Member

Had the older model and then went to the latest with the carbon rear end and didnt like it a lot.Very vague and noodly.To cap it off the carbon chainstay broke on the drive side which is a scarily regular thing with these bikes,just do a search and see how common this is.Now solod and riding a Heckler,far better bike.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘yeti 575 opinions please!!’ is closed to new replies.