Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Yet another what tyre thread…
  • landslide

After a couple of rides on my new build (Kona Taro 29er, courtesy of mboy on here…), I’m after something with more grip than the current 2.4″ Maxxis Ardents (critical factor in choosing these was they were cheap on eBay).

Generally riding in the Peak District, so a mixed bag of trails, with rocks, hardback, loam, and the odd bit of gloop (though not miles and miles of mud). I’d like something with a good deal of volume to soften the back end a bit, and if it didn’t weigh a tonne, that would be nice too, though I’m no racing snake. Will be chucking it down Revolution soon too, so some degree of burliness may come in handy too.
    My options seem to be either get something petty burly, and keep the Ardents for drier terrain, or go for more of an all rounder and keep them on all year…

My shortlist is currently:
    Maxxis Minion DHR2/DHF2 (2.3″)
    Maxxis Shorty (2.3″)
    Schwalbe Magic Mary (2.35″)
    Continental Mountain King 2 (2.4″)
    Specialized Purgatory Grid (2.3″)
    Specialized Hillbilly Grid (2.3″)
    On One Chunky Monkey (2.3″)

Any thoughts/experiences/recommendations? Ta muchly…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I ride in the peak most of the time and have found the chunky munkey good on most things including wet rocks & roots, but poor in slippy greasy conditions. Mary’s are great as a front tyre, but I find the the normal snake skin carcasses too fragile for the rocks in the peak, they are also way too draggy as a rear – poss try the super gravity carcass but adds a bit of weight

fudge9202
    Free Member

Currently run Minions front and rear can highly recommend them, have recently put an aggressor on the rear but haven’t been out on it yet so can’t comment.

Kamakazie

I have looked around recently for an all round front and have gone for the Bontrager SE5. Not arrived yet but I’d add it and the WTB Vigilante to your list.
    The Magic Mary was looking like the best tread for me but I was put off by the feedback on longevity. The Conti Der Baron is very similar but I couldn’t find it for less than £50 in the UK.

From all the bits I read you’ll want to get a different front and rear.

Your list seems to vary in all round and winter focussed (Hillbilly / Shorty) so probably best decide exactly what you want or you’ll get hundreds of combo’s!

acidtest
    Free Member

Magic Mary trailstar front, Nobby Nic pacestar rear is what I’d use.

Der Barons are awesome used them last winter, they’re expensive and heavier but will last longer and if used on the rear will roll worse than the Nobby.

The Magic Mary has insane amounts of grip and doesn’t roll that bad on the front, Nobby Nic is a good all rounder for the back… rolls pretty good and doesn’t clog up with mud too much, not as grippy as a lot of tyres but a good compromise.

landslide

Thanks all, most helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Yet another what tyre thread…’ is closed to new replies.