Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • yet another tubeless woes question
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I have pro ones, prime tubeless ready clinchers, and a swalbe airshot inflater.

Front wheel worked after a bit of faffing, but the rear is tricky. I can inflate it with the inflator, and i even hear the bead snapping onto the rim. But as soon as I remove the inflator to put in the valve it deflates and unseats itself.

I’ve tried to inflate it with the core in, but no luck

What am I missing?

medlow
    Free Member

What pressure are you taking the Airshot to?
    I find 120psi works for pretty much anything.
    The fact you are hearing the bead pop is a good sign, but there must be one part that is not seating.
    Have you double checked your rim tape is central?
    Any old rubbery sealant along the bead??

downhillfast
    Free Member

Tried an extra layer of tape on the rim?

TiRed

Sounds like the beads are too tight. Pop a tube in and inflate. Leave a day or two. Try again. Never has problems with tubeless Schwalbe road tyres, but they have never been mounted to tubeless rims, either

allthepies
    Free Member

Never mind that, get on the drone thread! 😉
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/found-a-drone-how-to-trace-owner

bluemoon1981
    Free Member

You tried rubbing some fairy liquid on the beads, helped me in the past.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks pies

I got mine back a while back but thanks for thinking of me!

tpbiker
    Free Member

It shouldn’t be a tape issue as the rims come ready taped. I may try putting a tyre in as that usually works on mtb tyres.

munkster
    Free Member

OP I’m confused why you aren’t inflating with the Airshot with the valve core in there? Is there a particular reason that I’m missing?

Edit: there was something I was missing, you were saying it didn’t inflate – durr. Weird, mine will go up with the valve in no bother… I will generally inflate my Airshot to about 150psi (can’t remember if that’s over the recommended amount) release the air, then whip that off and get my track pump on sharpish and get them up to 100-110psi by which time they’ve popped onto the bead.

I think my tubeless (road) tyres would invariably unseat if I just let the air straight out again TBH. They only seem to stay seated with no air once a bit of gunked up sealant has persuaded them that the bead is where it’s at!

tpbiker
    Free Member

To be fair I kind of thought the airshot would mean I could inflate with the core in. But it appears that barely any air gets in at all, almost less than when attacking it with the track pump. Almost like when I screw on the hose its pushing the valve closed.

Is there something you need to do with the valve on the swalbe inflator to use it with a core in place as the flow of air is nonexistent with it in?

tillydog
    Free Member

Put your finger over the valve to stop the air coming out, then stuff the valve core in quickly. (Although TBH, if the beads won’t stay seated, you may have problems with the tyre burping later on. My Giant S-XC2 wheels were like this)

munkster
    Free Member

That sounds really odd, assuming no tape issues (I often end up having to add a wrap to get them to seat at all) my Airshot will pop the tyre up no problem with the valve in. We are talking about the light blue Airshot here aren’t we? My Airshot isn’t made by Schwalbe if that’s the implication?

Since your tyres will actually seat (albeit temporarily) it doesn’t sound like a rim tape issue. At the risk of patronising your valve core *is* unscrewed right? Have you tried a different valve core? They’re available cheaply on CRC, box of 10 no bad thing to have in the spares box anyway.

tpbiker
    Free Member

At the risk of patronising your valve core *is* unscrewed right?

I’d only find that patronising if I hadn’t tried to inflate my tyres with it screwed in many times..:-) But on this occasion it was unscrewed..I checked!

Its not the ‘airshot’, its a schwalbe tyre booster, which is pretty much exactly the same thing. May have a different connector however.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘yet another tubeless woes question’ is closed to new replies.