Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Yet another grammar question
  • juan
    Free Member

Once again I am praising the STW source of knowledge.
    Should I say:

I strongly feel I have all the qualifications you are looking for in a successful
    candidate, so I would like to apply for this position.

or

I strongly feel that I have all the qualifications you are looking for in a successful
    candidate, so I would like to apply for this position.

Thanks.

wwaswas

of the two the latter, but the pedants will be out in force shortly no doubt.

trailmonkey

Neither. Don't say that you feel that you have the quals just state that you have them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I feel strongly that I have all the qualifications you are looking for in a successful candidate, so I would like to apply for this position.

But I'd agree – you are applying, you are not asking to apply, and you should state that you have the qualifications, rather than state that you feel that you have them.

juan
    Free Member

Should I change for:
    I have all the qualifications you are looking for…
    ?

ntreid
    Free Member

Looks like there's no grammatical problem with either of them to me, just really a preference in writing style.

More important question though: Do you really want to use that sentence?

ntreid
    Free Member

juan – Member
    Should I change for:
    I have all the qualifications you are looking for…
    ?

Yes.

ntreid
    Free Member

Plus, why do you want to apply?

trailmonkey

or should it be all of the qualifications ?

juan
    Free Member

Plus, why do you want to apply?

In real world because it's in scotland and I need money to pay the bills.

EDIT
    Better like that?
    I have seen on the CCL website that you are offering a post-doctoral position in molecular modelling funded by the aeropath research programme.\\

I have all the of qualifications you are looking for in a successful candidate, so I would like to apply for this position and have the opportunity to work with your team.\\

tron
    Free Member

"I feel strongly that" would be correct, if you were writing about feelings.

You either know that you have the qualifications (ie, they list a person spec) so you state that, or you suspect / believe you have the qualifications. In which case you try and make it sound as strong as possible, avoiding using words like "believe" and "feel".

BigDummy
    Free Member

"My heart knows that it is my destiny to fill this position"

OR

"I am applying for this position because my qualifications are perfectly suited to it".

🙂

tron
    Free Member

I have seen on the CCL website that you are offering a post-doctoral position in molecular modelling funded by the aeropath research programme.\\

I have all the of qualifications you are looking for in a successful candidate, so I would like to apply for this position and have the opportunity to work with your team.\\

I have the qualifications you are looking for in a successful candidate, and [this is where you can engage in a bit of supposition] believe I would be a good fit with your organisation.

If you google, there are a few lists of words that are good for this sort of thing – you don't have qualifications, you achieved them, and so on.

juan
    Free Member

ok guys you've made a point. Back to drawing board.

donsimon
    Free Member

Both would be OK, as above regarding the application.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Dear Fascist Bully Boy…

ntreid
    Free Member

Juan, I liked the edited version you came up with.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sentance 1 – I would like to apply for the position of blah blah blah.
    Sentance 2 – I have all the relevant qualifications (or whatever from above) and wish to apply for the position because…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sentance 3 – spell sentence correctly.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Grammatically, the latter is correct.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

"My heart knows that it is my destiny to fill this position"

I proofread a friend's Chinese housemate's application for an MSc (or something) at Cambridge and it had stuff like that in it.

nickc

Job applications would be so much more fun if you had to maybe sing them, in the style of a light operetta, or Thrash Metal… 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

be more direct and positive and say:

I would like to apply for this position because I know I have the qualifications, skills, and experience necessary to succeed in this role.

john_drummer
    Free Member

… or hardcore punk at 225bpm

druidh
    Free Member

It's not "I would like to apply"… by sending in this letter, you are applying.

Try "I would like to be considered for this position….."

Edric64
    Free Member

Jozzer Hughes ,go on giz a job I can do that! Would that work for you?

scaredypants

darling fascist bully boy ..

Ti29er
    Free Member

Dear Sir / Madam.

Having seen your recent advertisement for the vacant post-doctoral position in molecular modelling funded by the Aropath Research Programme, I wish to apply for the position as I have all the relevant qualifications required / stipulated …. (etc)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    darling fascist bully boy ..
    POSTED 22 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I stand corrected 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

… I wish to apply for the position FULL STOP. I have all the relevant whatsits etc etc.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Yet another grammar question’ is closed to new replies.