Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yet another car thread – Daihatsu Terrios
  • Harry_the_Spider

Runabout for wife and kiddies. Won't do more than 5 miles in any one journey.

Anyone had one?

Olly
    Free Member

why not get a normal car?
    just curious?
    what i remember of them (seeing them on the road) they are no bigger than a corsa, only with more padding, and a bit higher up.

always thought something like that would be fun for ragging around a beach, or some other mild off road, but confident that it would take a matter of hours to kill it if it was driven different to a normal road car….?

Olly
    Free Member

(sorry, no i have nothing useful to contribute by the way)

molgrips
    Free Member

Won't do more than 5 miles in any one journey.

That's why they should make decent electric cars.

I also have nothing to comment. Apart from the fact that if you are only nipping about town then surely the only criterion is comfort and space.

And that it shags cars if you only do short trips, so take it out once in a while 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

how many kids?
    gwhizz? 😉

Olly
    Free Member

http://www.nicecarcompany.co.uk/city-22.html

it even looks (almost) like a terrios…

fiat 500 can be got as an electric apparently (according to google) if you want it to look "normal"
    as can the citron C1…

electrics are perfect for stop start short trips i would have thought, no gears to change, oodles of torque, top speeds to 40-60mph, which is plenty.
    and from reading the websites, a 60mile range would mean you only need to charge it once a week?

Olly
    Free Member

Quiet Car Company, based in Lymington, showed a battery-electric conversion of the Chinese Hafei Lobo five-door hatchback, an attractive small car designed by Italian styling house Pininfarina. Priced at £12,995, the Quiet Car 2 has Lithium batteries offering a range of around 65 miles on a full, five-hour charge. Performance is strictly ‘urban’ – top speed is only 50mph. But running costs are low – QCC claims 100 miles of driving will add just £1 to your household electricity bill.
    The conversion sees the car’s engine replaced by a battery pack under the bonnet, with a rear-mounted electric motor driving the rear wheels. Much of the electric drivetrain equipment is fitted under the rear seats. QCC is taking orders for the car – but deliveries won’t start until October or November.

Spec

Drive: Rear Wheel drive

Tailpipe emissions: Zero

Power : 72v lithium power, Standard car systems (lighting etc) supplied by 12v batteries , this battery is charged from the lithium batteries via a dc-dc converter .

Motor: 2 multi-pole permanent magnet hub motors. Each has nominal power 7.5 kW (Maximum total power 30kW)

Charge: Charged on standard 13 amp socket with 3 kW battery charger .Features a Sophisticated battery management system which looks after each individual cell in both charge and discharge mode. Total energy storage of 15.5 kWh

Brakes: Hydraulic Disc

Dimensions: 350cm long, 152 cm wide, 160cm high

Weight: 870kg including batteries

Tyres : 13”
    Good result during crash test.

Electric front windows.

Air conditioning

Alloy wheels

Quiet Cars will shortly be offering the Quiet Car 1 and the Quiet Car 2.

1 quid for 100 miles! bargin tastic!
    styled by pinifarinininininininiiani dont you know.

Harry_the_Spider

2 kids.
    1 big double pram.
    £2000 limit.

woody2000

Not a Terios – messy repair bills if stuff goes wrong (4X4 innit), small boot and narrow hatch opening. What about a Golf/Focus?

CountZero

The little Suzuki 4×4's are very reliable, and the SJ413's can be picked up cheaply, and a Jimny shouldn't break the bank for an earlier one. Still, if a largish pram is going to be carried, a small estate car would probably be a more practical proposition.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I've just sold a Terios. I'm assuming you mean the old shape one.

We had ours for 5 years. To be honest I was a bit sad to see it go.

Great little cars, tiny turning circle. Lots of clearance, permanent 4WD with Diff lock never got stuck anywhere. Very nippy and you can get a surprising amount in the back with the seats down and even with the seats up there's way more room than a Suzuki.

Ours was a 99. The only major bill was for a new gearbox after the local dealer put a hole in it when changing the CV Joints (we think that it fell off the lift but they wouldn't admit it).

CV Joints seemed to be a weak point and it needed 3 changes in 5 years. But that included some pretty rough driving.

Can easily get 2 bikes in the back with seats down.

However do not buy an auto (woefully slow).

Storer76

I did the press launch for the current version – off road, surprisingly capable. On-road, an absolute pig – clunky manaul gearbox, automatic shifted slower than a tortoise on mogodon. For a runabout you'd be much better off going with a small city car – eg Micra. If you're set on 4×4 and won't be offroad, then how about a Panda 4×4?

PePPeR

Or an old Rav4

Great cars, with a fantastic reliability record.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Jane has one, had it 10 years old shape.
    Superb little thing, does snow and ice, small, turns on a penny, doddle to park.
    Not a lot of room for a big pram though.
    Bought it when we had our second – now 10 – surprisingly so has carried all the kid kit for 2 youngsters but we used a small push chair and a carrier.
    Never broken down, maintenance a doddle, spares are a bit pricey but needed so seldom it's irrelevant.
    Will be changing it soon, would get another but don't like the new shape so it will be a Rav4

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yet another car thread – Daihatsu Terrios’ is closed to new replies.