Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Yes its another "What bike for commuting" !
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

I currently live next door to work, im moving house with my girlfriend and son in the next month, now this is going to be at least 45 mins bus ride and i don’t want to catch bus`s because i cant stand the people on them and the cost! i already own 2 bikes but i want to buy a cheap road bike for about 300 max as my workplace is not very good on security, can anyone suggest me a decent commuting bike to get to and from work fast thanks!!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

^

Onzadog
    Free Member

At that sort of money, any second hand road bike will do the job. Totally second the comment about people on public transport

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GavinB

^ They smell, so I’ve been told. 😯

If you’re buying new, then something from Revolution, Carrera or Ridgeback would probably fit the budget, although really easy to pick up a second hand thing from here or eBay for less than that. A second hand road bike with mudguard and (depending on your preference) rack mounts would work. If your new work place has pretty poor security, then get something as plain as possible, second hand, ditch all the Q/Rs from the wheels etc.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for Gavin’s recommendations.

Also, if you’re riding in work clothes (i.e. no show facililties/don’t need to shower) consider a chaingurd to keep trousers clean.

Bregante

Carreras subway at halfords or Edinburgh cycles do their own brand Revolution ones that look great value

thepurist

If you’re not that fussy try your local freecycle – you might get a nice surprise. I picked up a GT Avalance with disks from mine.

Kuco

singlespeed/fixed road bike.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Kona Smoke maybe if you want flat bars? ebay shop selling them for £200. Stealth black, though do weigh a bit. Failing that I’d go the second hand/eBay route.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Full mudguards. Best investment for a regular commuter

breatheeasy
    Free Member

+1 for piedis suggestion of mudguards.

thepurist

Yep. mudgards, bells, reflectors – the works.

arcascomp
    Free Member

Chris, Dunno what the roads are like in your area but I find that an older MTB rigid fitted out with full guards and rack has been the best for my commutes over the years. I find the more upright position better for keeping a sharp eye out for taxis taking DNA samples off my elbows and crazed Volvo drivers (hell Volvo even make buses!!)

Looking for new (sounds like a good excuse to up the bike count 🙂 ) I can recommend the Edinburgh Co-op Trailfinder, currently £249 and get an old rack and guards that add a ratbike look so the thieving gits leave it alone.

Olly
    Free Member

build a flat bar rigid MTB and wedge 700cs in it

love my slotty inbred 😀
    any excuse to get it out again.

MoreCashThanDash

Kona Dew works for me – 12 miles on sustrans/towpaths/roads each way, full guards and a rack.

It isn’t light, pretty or very fast, but it keeps going for not much money

chrisrhayes

Was running a v light singlespeed roadbike which was great, but broke.

But reckon I’m having more fun on my heavier Surly Crosscheck frame, with full guards and 1×8 gears. Can do offroad route to work, and still not covered in mud when I get there. yay

Looks like this:

simonralli2
    Free Member

I had a Kona smoke for my 3 mile commute when living in Leeds. It’s a fabulous bike, but it probably needs thinner tyres I think – I had the large tyres.

Also, it has quick release wheels – not so great if you do not have somewhere secure. But I loved it to ride.

dogthomson

I’ve got a Kona Smoke I’m looking to get rid of cheap, pretty much brand new too! Email’s in profile if you’re interested?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

have you a pic dog?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Yes its another "What bike for commuting" !’ is closed to new replies.