Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Yearly Mileage Targets
  • will
    Free Member

I remember a thread back in Jan with last years miles on, and wondered if people are on target for their miles this year?

If so, what are your targets?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I set one last year that should have been achieveable, fell behind by march and then lost interest as it just meant grinding out the miles on the road bike to try and reach an arbitrary target when I’d rather do half the miles on the MTB and be having fun.

play
    Free Member

5000 miles

druidh
    Free Member

I’m not playing that game this year. I’m stopping a lot more to look around and enjoy being outdoors.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s just another form of willy waving.

njee20
    Free Member

it just meant grinding out the miles on the road bike to try and reach an arbitrary target when I’d rather do half the miles on the MTB and be having fun.

This. Although in my mind I feel a bit cheated if I do less than 100 miles a week it’s completely pointless, last week I did 8 hours mountain biking, which was great fun, just wasn’t 100 miles!

fasthaggis

I’m not playing that game this year. I’m stoppingriding a lot more to look around and enjoy being outdoors.

+1

Trained like a dafty last year for a small return on the fun scale .

play
    Free Member

I look at the yearly mileage as a way of justifying all the money I’m spending on these toys. Every mile on the bike justifies it a little bit more.

shortcut

Probably already done about 2,000 – maybe more.

LEJOG helped.

andrewh
    Free Member

Target 10,000 miles, racing a mate who has a 10,000km target.
    About 3,500 so far so not too bad, and the warmer weather is now coming. Not ridden a bike for three days though, I have whole body hurt after 24hrs of Exposure!
    Sadly I am now empoyed and unlikely to surpass my 15,500miles from a previous year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This. Although in my mind I feel a bit cheated if I do less than 100 miles a week it’s completely pointless, last week I did 8 hours mountain biking, which was great fun, just wasn’t 100 miles!

[quote]I look at the yearly mileage as a way of justifying all the money I’m spending on these toys. Every mile on the bike justifies it a little bit more. [/quote] Maybe an hourly target would be a good thing, so rather than saying 5000 miles, I’ll do 500 hours. Added bonus that it allows for varying fitness (doing 100 mile/week is easy if you’ve a modicum of fitness, in the Summer I’d do that in a day on the road bike without really thinking of it, but in mid Febuary when it’s cold and wet, doing that in a week becomes hard work, but you could still do 2x 2.5 hour evening rides and a half day at the weekend even if the total mileage was less impressive.

avdave2

Accumulating miles while cycling as a goal and the autistic spectrum – discuss. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I think I did about 1000 last year, aimed to do more this year but not sure what I’ve done yet as my endomondo has been playing up. Going to ditch the GPS and get a normal bike computer to track miles and speed I think!

vondally
    Free Member

from now to dec 31 …20 miles please

chrismac

Don’t know and it doesn’t matter. To me biking is about being out having fun. Mileage doesn’t enter into the equation.

MoreCashThanDash

Target was 5000 miles, about 250 behind schedule so far.

It’s been the same target for the last few years, but after holidays, illnesses and injuries I seem to run out of steam between 3,500 and 4,500.

But it’s more about enjoying the riding rather than chasing a notional number

MoreCashThanDash

It’s been the same target for the last few years, but after holidays, illnesses and injuries I seem to run out of steam between 3,500 and 4,500.

MoreCashThanDash

loddrik
    Free Member

What a crap idea, my mileage target is to enjoy riding my bike…

hh45
    Free Member

time not distance!! 478 hours last year but that was too many. around 400 seems to result in the best results, most enjoyment and finest memories. Last year I was a knackered old diesel engine from July onward.

samuri
    Free Member

Not chasing any particular target this year. Did 6500 miles last year, reckon I’ll do about the same this.
    One good thing a mileage target does is force you out when you initially don’t feel like doing anything.
    You always get back feeling better than if you’d have just stayed in.

druidh
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    One good thing a mileage target does is force you out when you initially don’t feel like doing anything.

That’s true. I hadn’t actually set a target for last year, but when I realised in November that I’d already passed 9,000km, having a 10,000km target did make me go out on some days I’d have otherwise just let pass.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I would love to play on my mountain bike all day, every day, BUT!
    WORK.
    FAMILY.
    DIY.
    OTHER 5hit.

I manage between 30 and 80 miles (off road) per week depending on the above!

Surely, this will be the same for most of us?

But, if you can have a yearly target and actually stick to it, then, good on you! 8)

will
    Free Member

15,000+ miles in a year is a good distance i’d say. More than most do in a car 😆

For me it’s good to have a target so you get out and put in the miles, but I appreciate it’s not for everybody.

rOcKeTdOg

i’m about 470 miles ahead of what i did this time last year, being off work for 7 weeks did help though

tommytowtruck

I’m behind my very modest target already. Must ride more.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Yearly Mileage Targets’ is closed to new replies.