Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • yay or nay?
  • alpin
    Free Member

think i’m finally going to give-in and no longer be car free…

will continue to use public transport and the bike for work and local trips due to the hassle of parking in Munich, but for spontaneous trips away with the bikes and the flexibility it gives me on weeksends (i.e. not limited to the spots in the Alps where the trains go) it seems worth the added cost of ~1200€/year…

http://www.autoscout24.de/DetailsGTM.aspx?id=232308239&cd=635038876520000000&asrc=st

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s the reason I bought my first car – for outdoor pursuits.

camo16
    Free Member

If you have the Euros, I say Ja.

woody2000

Just hire a car when you need one maybe?

alpin
    Free Member

Hiring a motor for four days costs around 200€ and then that is for a small model that you can maybe squeeze two bikes into (plus the worry of getting anything oily). You are restricted to X km and have the faff of picking it up, dropping it off and then the added worry that it gets pranged.

Between me and my car-less biking buddies we spend about 150-200 a month on train travel getting to and from the trails.

Cost of ownership should be about 110/month before fuel. If friends cover fuel costs I’m not that much poorer, but much more flexible.

And I could sleep in the back of this.

alpin
    Free Member

any other opinions on a Honda Accord?

samuri
    Free Member

Fricking ace car.

I’ve had one for years. Bought it off another singletracker who may have started a recent thread about sports cars.
    It has been faultless. I’ve not had to do anything to it at all. Just serviced it on a regular basis and that’s it.

It’s a bit of a barge, doesn’t go round corners very quickly but it is the most comfy car in the world and is great on fuel as well as being reasonably quick in a straight line. Pulls like a train.

It’s a bit old fashioned inside. My wife loves being driven long distances in it. Highly recommended.

alpin
    Free Member

thanks Samuri….

what MPG are you getting?

can you lay down in the back of it for a nights sleep?

Northwind

I wouldn’t own a car if it wasn’t for bikes…

Accord was one of the contenders for mine, I ended up with the mondeo mostly because there was more of them around but also they just felt a bit friendlier. (“character” meaning more or less the same as “shagged-ness”). But the accord was pretty damn nice.

samuri
    Free Member

If I really nurse it I can get about 45-50mpg. If I skin it I get about 30mpg. (Figures based on full tank, drive, refill tank). It’s happiest on long motorway journeys on cruise.
    I’d struggle to lie down in the back for a kip but it is a big car, I guess it’s possible. Passenger seat down, that’d be fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.