Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Yawn: Touring Tyres?
  • boblo
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve never posted a tyre thread. Everyone’s allowed one before being euthanased though eh?

On my touring tandems and solo’s, I’ve been using mainly Panaracer Pasela’s for the last 100 or so years. They have been a good combination of lightness, robustness and longevity. I managed to get 5k miles out of a pair of 47’s on the tandem during one tour with only a couple of punctures.

However… I’ve just retired a pair of 28’s mid tour after a front sidewall blowout and the rear tread started to delaminate. They’d done lots of miles and the going was off road gnar so I’m not complaining.

I bought a pair of concrete Panaracer’s Tourguard Touring to finish the tour (all the shop had) but they are a bit on the chunky side for normal use.

Question: what are people using/can recommend for loaded mainly road based touring. Reasonably robust, reasonably light, reasonably puncture resistant, reasonably zippy. 700x28c please?

Really looking for a more contemporary Pasela, similar with slightly tougher sidewalls.

Anyone tried the Marathon Supreme?

Ta.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Marathon Supreme: Amazing.

Did a few thousand km on them. The only punctures were when the days were so hot they were going over pressure.

robdob
    Free Member

I was going to say Supremes as well, not cheap at all but meant to be amazing. I got some Vittoria voyager hyper from PX recently on sale as they are similar (in weight/looks as well as price) and I love them, saved 1.6 lbs in rotating weight compared to some standard Marathons. Will get supremes when these wear out.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Rolling resistance:low, wear:low, ride:smooth, grip:high, puncture resistance:v high, cost:eeer…

otsdr
    Free Member

^ What gofaster and rob said.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

In the age old tradition of just recommending what you’re riding…I’ll recommend Durano Plus’. I’ve had them on my Day One for a good few years now, covering best part of 5k miles on them. Never missed a beat, even when I thought I’d be pushing them way past their comfort zone, ie full on off road loaded touring. Though they do squirm a little in pure mud (they are close to slick), they still keep on going. Pretty quick on tarmac. Never had a puncture. Only real downside is they are quite weighty, and were a tight fir on the rim.

boblo
    Free Member

Durano Plus max 25c and they weigh more than Supreme’s no? I have a pair of normal Durano’s on one bike and blimey they’re thin and light. 280g IIRC. Fantastic tyre.

Supreme’s are a bit spendy but not too bad from the Fatherland.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve got Durano Plus (wired) in 28mm flavour on my Kaffenback. Seem pretty bombproof to me. They seem to cope okay with the odd bit of gravel track.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Boblo, nope, mine are 700x32c. Pretty sure they do bigger too. They are heavy, but no idea how they compare weight wise with the Supremes.

boblo
    Free Member

Aahhh OK. I was just looking at the Schwalbe site for folding Durano Plus. They list wired up to 28c but 530g 🙁 That’s heavier than a standard Marathon.

firestarter
    Free Member

Im currently debating marathon delux or mondials. Can’t decide which tho. One has better grip on road and in wet other better off road and lasts longer. But both look decent and very similar weights

thomthumb
    Free Member

durano (not the plus) is a similar tyre to a pasela with a more rubbery construction that the tan wall paselas which seem a bit more friable.

Marathon racer is the same as a durano (by my reckoning) once you get over 28. the 35s i have measure up small, so a 32 might be about 28/30.

CraigW
    Free Member

Panaracer Ribmo are pretty good – fairly fast, and fairly puncture proof. They seem a similar style to the Marathon Supreme, but not as expensive.

boblo
    Free Member

Mondial’s are super heavy duty no? They are the successor to the old XR which I have a pair of if I need ultra rough stuff capability when touring. The XR’s aint light tho…

I think I’ll give Supreme’s a go. They’re about £24 each from Germany, dear when old Marathon 368’s can be had for £11 per from the Spa :-/

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t think I have ever had a puncture on XRs.

In 5 years 😀

Too chunky/heavy though :mrgreen:

firestarter
    Free Member

The new mondials are only 570g iirc lighter than marathon greenguard

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Marathon Supremes are the way to go Boblo. Rich got right across the U.S. On his and they looked new at the other side. One puncture, a huge plasterboard nail that nothing could stop.

I’ve got them on my touring bike and they are great. The 32mm ones are pretty narrow, the 28mm ones I have on my Roberts look like 25mm tyres. They are light, toll really well, grip well in the rain and are pretty picture resistant.

As you say, cheap from the Fatherland.

XRs weigh far too much for road touring, I had to take them off the Fargo, many lifetimes will never wear them out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Yawn: Touring Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.