Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Yari forks how many tokens ?
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Got a set of these 150 travel 29 wheel size . Forks have been great and I have made little adjustment from out of the box other than adjusting the air pressure . Most reviews seem to add a token or 2 . I added a token to the two that were already in mine and they feel worse than they were . What are others running

mboy
    Free Member

You need to reduce air pressure at the same time as adding tokens. Roughly 5psi per token added seems to be a good guide. So if you had 80psi with 2 tokens, run 75psi with 3 installed.

For a 150mm travel fork, really you want 3 tokens in there. The shorter travel the fork, the more tokens you want in there.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m running 3, I assumed they’d come ’empty’ as my mates Pike RC’s had, but when I opened them there was 2 in there already – after 3 decent rider on them and so decent landings I’ve yet to use the last inch of travel with 30% say so I’m going to take one out again. 650b forks / 160mm

Also dropped the lowers off and no oil came out, not earth shattering as the foam ring was wet and they only take 10ml in each leg, but I did a little ‘lower service’ to be sure.

Bloody great forks though, I’m loving them – I bought them with a plan to get an Avalance damper rather than a Lyrik, but I might not bother, they’re pretty great as-is.

BillOddie

How much do you weigh? Ride hard?

I added 2 to the 2 that were already in my 29er pikes. Dropped the pressure down a bit. Ace.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’m about 85kg with riding kit on and I have dropped the air pressure a bit but after a pretty hard ride today I haven’t used the last inch of travel . I might take 2 out and see how they are then with air pressure adjusted .

mboy
    Free Member

I’m about 85kg with riding kit on and I have dropped the air pressure a bit but after a pretty hard ride today I haven’t used the last inch of travel . I might take 2 out and see how they are then with air pressure adjusted .

That sounds pretty good to me. Found that on a normal ride I’m only using around 110-120mm of travel, ride a bit harder and I tend to get another 10-20mm, and only on the very hardest of hits have I bottomed the fork out (but it was so progressive, it literally just kissed the bottom out bumper, not smashed into it).

Taking a token out and making it more linear means you’re likely to be able to hit the bottom out bumper more easily, but it will be a harsher bottom out when it happens.

benpinnick

My rule of thumb is one token + 1 for every 10mm the fork is reduced from its maximum… which in the case of a 150 yari 27.5 would be 4. Not tried that on the 29 but the theory works well for 27.5 forks I find, the question I guess is whether the air spring on a 29er is the same size as a 27.5 or less?

razorrazoo

Page 14 of the manual shoes how many tokens are installed at the factory.

So if I have 2 installed in my 160mm forks then I need to reduce the psi by 10 against the chart on the leg as a rule of thumb? This makes sense as had first ride and was some way off full travel despite letting air out several times as I went along, don’t want to blast through it all at Swinley, but felt I should have been using more than I had.

scandal42
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking these are more beneficial / necessary for heavier riders?

P-Jay
    Free Member

scandal42 – Member

Am I right in thinking these are more beneficial / necessary for heavier riders?

As I understand it yes/no.

Yes they’re air volume spacers but the forks are built in such a way that ‘average’ means you still need some – in this case Yari forks come with 2 pre-installed and I would guess like most things MTB related they’re based around a 13st-ish rider – so if you weigh less you can take some out, weigh more you can put more in – but it’s not just all about weight – some people prefer a linear fork, some progressive and that’s what they’re there for.

skiprat
    Free Member

I run 4 tokens in a 130mm Yari and its loads better than it was when it only had 3 in (weighing 14st 3lb). I had no idea there were any in it as it came fitted to my new bike. When i opened it up to put some in, i found 3 there already and thought bloody hell, how many does it need to feel good and how many will it take?

Fitted another one, dropped the air and its been great. Like others i’ve still not hit full travel but i’ll drop the air again a little and it should be even better. Still have one token spare at the mo should i need it.

Thanks for the link above. I got minimal info for my forks so now i know i can slap more tokens in if i need and it should still work.

razorrazoo

On another note, what are people doing with the compression damping?

I’ve got mine backed right off (so they don’t feel semi locked out), but once I get my pressures set correctly (I’m guessing I’ve too much air in at the moment) then the compression may come more into play.

P-Jay
    Free Member

razorrazoo – Member

On another note, what are people doing with the compression damping?

I’ve got mine backed right off (so they don’t feel semi locked out), but once I get my pressures set correctly (I’m guessing I’ve too much air in at the moment) then the compression may come more into play.

I haven’t counted the clicks, but it’s about 30% from fully-open – my non-scientific method of getting in my descent position and adjusting it so both ends move equally when I bounce up and down works well for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Yari forks how many tokens ?’ is closed to new replies.