Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Yale Bike alarm?
  • funkynick

With all these bike thefts from events going on, what do folks think about these?

I'm thinking they'd be pretty useful for events and the like as at the very least they'd make a racket if someone cuts the cable and it would alert others that there is something going on.

I think I might have to invest…

project
    Free Member

I would also recomend one of these,
    http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/Personal_Attack_Alarms.html

When you leave the bike in your tent or chained to the car, tie a piece of clear fishing line somewhere on the bike,and run the fishing line to the alarm,keep the line reasonably tight and not snagged onto anything else, securely fix the alarm to something where it cant be seen, eg tent pole,or car or bike rack,so when somebody pulls the bike the fishing line goes tight and pulls the pin out of the alarm,and it makes one hell of a noise, alerting people nearby.

sofaking
    Free Member

the king of sweden and myself were only talking about these this morning after some scrotes broke in to the bike fest and had it away with a load of bikes.
    i think i will be investing in one to back up the other two locks i use

sofaking
    Free Member

so does anyone use these type of lock/alarms ?

robinbetts
    Free Member

I use an alarm lock along with an abus d-lock and long length of steel cable, it's pretty good and adds an extra deterant. It also has a motion sensor so even if it's desturbed it will go off. Only problem is in reallity the motion sensor occationally goes off on it's own, and also, if you wack your palm over the siron it cuts out 90% of the sound!

I like the idea of the personal alarm and the fishing line. Main thing is that these types of alarms are so cheap, got to be worth a go.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Only problem is in reallity the motion sensor occationally goes off on it's own, and also, if you wack your palm over the siron it cuts out 90% of the sound!

These would be the two thoughts I'd have before buying. Small audible locks are going to be easy to attenuate and easy to set off by accident, leading to more people ignoring them or assuming theif is the owner but set it off accidentally.

robinbetts
    Free Member

I tend to use it without the motion sensor (you have to arm after you lock) these days. Just as a deterant to opportunist thieves. Mainly to secure the bike while at a cafe etc (but only if bike is in view).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Yale Bike alarm?’ is closed to new replies.