Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Y Reg Passat 1.9TDI SE – Cost and economy
  • Shakey
    Free Member

I am looking at buying a Y Reg Passat with 190000 miles. Is £1200 a good price and what sort of economy (miles per gallon) can I expect?

nickf
    Free Member

What condition’s it in, how much MOT, what sort of history?

If the answers are ‘great’, ’12 months’, and ‘total’, then £1200 is reasonable. Otherwise, I’d look to take £500 off that.

MPG will be 45-55, depending on driving style.

matt_outandabout

I sold my W reg 1.9Tdi Sport Passat Estate 2 years ago with 180000miles and 6mths MOT and Tax on for £1400.

Good cars, v expensive to fix when they go wrong (which they do, more than you may think)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

190K on a Y!

Jeez! 2 Years ago I sold a 2.0DTi Vectra Estate in VGC with 100K for £800. I wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The last alfa garage I bought from said their Alfas had no problems compared to the passats their other franchise dealership sold, and that was about that age.

Plus Passats are for old git drivers, or people who want to be an old git. Have a look around at passat drivers on the road before passing judgement – it’s true.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

TurnerGuy is trolltastic.

solamanda
    Free Member

Jeez! 2 Years ago I sold a 2.0DTi Vectra Estate in VGC with 100K for £800. I wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole!

It is much better to buy a less fashionable car in better nick than a VW. VW seem to get a better reputation for reliability than the truth and keep a higher value second hand. At 190k I’d be looking for records of the suspension system (bushings and dampers) having been changed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

get a fiat – good engines and dont hold their value.

plus you won’t have to deal with a vw garage, another of my pet hates…

hora
    Free Member

Sounds like an ex-taxi to me!

I’d personally see it as £1,200 on the lottery personally.

If it was my car already and I’d done that mileage I’d trust it but KNOW that at somepoint something wear and tear AND something major would need attention to pass a MOT.

At £1,200 its very expensive and trading on its ‘go on forever mythology’.

singletrackmind

254k on my Y reg Passat 1.9tdi Mine is the 100 bhp PD engine.

FSH 1 owner / driver from new , not a taxi but a private company car.

I paid £800 for mine at 242k . I can get 60mpg from mine in the summer, its dropped to around 55mpg in the colder weather ( thats actual fill – fill as the fuel comp under reads)

Cambelt changes are early every 30k IIRC , and the suspension is known to wear . This might be a mix of OE componants and a heavy car.

Cheap tax too on mine £140pa

cats are known weak point and as the engine mounts wear the increased movement snaps the downpipe.

some leak from cabin air intake area, check carpet in passenger footwell , if its wet walk away as there are alot of expensive electrics in the footwell.

Got a set of 16″ audi ‘Trapez’ alloys on mine which look better than the crap steels it came with.

Nice blue dash, climatronic is a little wonky on mine and tends to over compensate .

No chance of any veg oil as they are extreamly high pressure injection systems.

Obliged to use 505 501 oil in oil changes which is a touch expensive

Have a look on fleabay , They do go for a surprising amount of cash , evem with moon and back milages

HTH STM

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think cambelts will be 30k. 60k is the earliest interval I heard about on the pre- PD one. My 2.0 PD is 80k or 4 years.

It’ll be the PD engine, which is famously reliable I think. At least according to some.

And they DO work nicely on veg despite what singletarck mind says. Check vegetableoildiesel.co.uk for info. Although my sister just bought one only slightly older for £1200 with 90k on it, and in mind condition too.

hora
    Free Member

Personally I say nice car but wait for a les leggy example.

I honestly don’t believe the 240k example above wasn’t a taxi. Sorry.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

still gonna look like an old git in a passat…

singletrackmind

Hora , would you like the phone number of the chap who I bought it from , or the garage that is next door to my work place.

My 240K Passat was supplied new to Chalk stream wines , and was the owners car . He wholesales wine throughout England . The car was serviced every 6000 miles by Pheonix Autos in New Alreaford , I have the history, and work next door

Paul worked in the next office to one of the co -owners of the brewery where i work .

He then put me in contact with Paul when he was looking for a 7 seater

So believe what you want to believe .

martinxyz
    Free Member

depending on where you live, the underside could be a nightmare with rust/corroded parts. (like mine from 1999,208ooo miles)

The problems i face for the next MOT arent the high miles in the engine etc.I recon it could go on and on for ages, but the underside has now seen 12 winters of salty roads.I wouldnt go near it if it lived up here all its life. Hopefully its fresh from another part of the country!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Y Reg Passat 1.9TDI SE – Cost and economy’ is closed to new replies.