Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XTR/XT Ice Tech Rotors – are they all that?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Looking at taking the plunge on a set of new XTR Trail brakes…but the extra money on Ice Tech rotors is putting them slightly out of budget…do I really need them? Do folk who have Ice Tech notice any improvement over normal type rotors? Any comments/experiences?

Kryton57

Yep. 2012 XT 160mm Icetech Rotors here, best 1 finger stopping brakes I’ve ever had, better than the 2011 non icetech 180’s I’ve got on the other bike.

The pads with the fins are overkill for most people though, and the dual compound shimano pad, although brialliant in terms of stopping power and wear, are expensive to replace at approx £20 a pair, but you can get aftermarket ones – ie discobrakes 4 pairs for £22.

Bike discount.de has pairs of 2012 XT for £146 the other day….

P.S. Ask yourself whether the XTR is worth the premium, I personally don’t think so.

honourablegeorge

One of the German mags tested the Ice Tech rotors, they melted.

neil853
    Free Member

I have some brand new 180mm Centre Lock ones going cheap?

legspin
    Free Member

I have some brand new 160mm Centre Lock ones going cheap?

MussEd
    Free Member

I’m very happy that you both have them going cheap, but I’d need to buy new wheels/hubs to fit them on thereby negating their cheapness!

teasel
    Free Member

According to the LBS mechanic, the difference between this and last years rotors is a layer of aluminium sandwiched between the steel. Not checked this so am happy to be proved incorrect. Not sure what the benefits would be over 2011 rotors, though…

Kryton57

teasel – Member
    According to the LBS mechanic, the difference between this and last years rotors is a layer of aluminium sandwiched between the steel. Not checked this so am happy to be proved incorrect. Not sure what the benefits would be over 2011 rotors, though…

Thats correct. Its heat dissapation. The alu core “absorbs” the heat from the steel rotor surface and throws it out through the spider, hence, cooler disks / less fade / more reliable stopping.

FWIW the real usualable difference for 2012 for the average rider is the increase power in the caliper and better pad compound.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought it would equate to heat dissipation and possibly a small weight decrease, which is always good for marketing purposes. Didn’t buy into it myself and went for the 2011, aware that the main difference would be in the remainder of the set-up and not the rotors.

usualable

Excellent new word. Not easy to pronounce; makes you sound as if you’re lashed… ; )

matther01
    Free Member

Bought a pair to go with my slx m666 BRAKES (180 & 160) and upgraded the pads to sintered and never regretted it. Was at Coed Y Brenin all this week and the pads are still going strong after several months…no squeel, saved my ass a few times compared to the RT51’s and organic pads I was using previously. I just run normal sintered pads, not the finned jobs.

Unless you’re really bothered by the weight, get a pair of SLX M675’s and the ice tech rotors. I’ve just bought them again from Bike Discount for a new hardtail I’m building.

transapp
    Free Member

I swapped over a pair of fairly well used (although by no means worn out) XT rotors and standard pads in 2012xt brakes for finned pads and ice tech rotors. All I can say is bloody hell, they have some power! A real step up. Was this due to pads, rotors or both. Not too sure, but I like!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interesting, organic pads usually give more power at the expence of accelerated wear.

boltonjon

I’ve been running 2012 XT brakes and ice tech rotors for about 3 months, which included a trip to the Alps

The most awesome brake set up i have ever used – way more powerful than the car!!

I’m a big fan of the original Shimano pads – cheap copies last a 3rd of the time – so why mess around?

In response to your concerns about getting the Ice Tech rotors, and maybe wanting to save cost – WTF – your about to spank a couple of hundred quid on XTR brakes and your thinking about saving pennies??

Go XT, Ice Tech rotors and spend the money you saved on something which will make a difference to your bike

MussEd
    Free Member

A bit assertive there Boltonjohn…but I take your point…In the interests of helping a dull Thursday pass a bit quicker what in your humble opinion should I spend any theoretical savings on? What would make a difference to my bike then?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XTR/XT Ice Tech Rotors – are they all that?’ is closed to new replies.