Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • xtr vs xt
  • onehundredthidiot

Two bikes same frame only major difference seems to be one is 2016 xtr and the other 2017 xt m8000. Xtr £200 more expensive. I’m going round I’m circles and by the time I’ve decided one or both will have gone.

So. Which?

flaps
    Free Member

I was always happy with XT, and it’s newer and cheaper so that would get my vote (assuming everything else is the same).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

XT

onandon
    Free Member

If it’s only 200 extra, go with the xtr

ScottChegg
    Free Member

2016 and 2017 were not big years in the evolution of XTR and XT.

I’d go for XTR because it’s just better.

jabbi
    Free Member

You say the frames are the same? What about suspension? Generally an XTR specced bike will also have higher end forks and shock. For only £200 extra I’d go XTR, 2016 is M9000/9020 so the current groupset and is obviously nicer than m8000 XT.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Clutch lever is nicer on the XT mech. Also, I’ve broken a carbon lever on an XTR shifter and doesn’t really feel any better shifter. I’d go XT myself unless the suspension was better.

scotroutes

Remember that some of the parts will eventually need replaced. Will you be sucked into spending more money then?

nickc

depends which bits are XTR. if it’s the whole groupset, then yeah do that, if it’s just a few bits and bobs then don’t bother.

daver27
    Free Member

Got both XT M8000 and XTR M9000. XTR has a lighter action and is more polished/posher looking. Functionally, XT is better i find. I’m guessing that as it was launched after XTR, they had chance to iron out the minor issues (clutch lever position, overly light trigger action)

If it was me, i’d save the £200. XTR really isn’t worth it, there is zero performance gain and if anything, the XT has a nicer action in use.

Look at the other spec items though. If the XTR model has better shocks/forks/wheels/tyres etc then the £200 extra would be better justified there. if spec is otherwise identical then just get the XT model

onehundredthidiot

Only difference between them is the group set and wheels mavic on xtr bike. They’re canyon so xtr or xt throughout. I was wondering about the replacement costs.

Davesport

In terms of functionality the only difference I’ve noticed is in the quality and action of the shifters. Definitely better. The rest I can make do with XT.

ski
    Free Member

XT all day long

XTR is for people who do not pay for their kit or spend more time cleaning than riding their kit!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was wondering about the replacement costs.

Eh?

That depends what you replace it with, surely?

Northwind

Is it 1x? Changes it a bit because frankly XTR 1x ain’t that good, the shifters etc are all grand but the cassette’s a really nice execution of a really bad idea.

Otherwise, xt is great and I’d never pay RRP for XTR, but £200 really isn’t a lot to pay for the upgrade. I’d be happy with either option.

Is there anything else you’d rather spend £200 to upgrade?

jonnyboi

So. Which?

got links to the two bikes?

is one a discounted 2016 and one a 2017 then?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘xtr vs xt’ is closed to new replies.