Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XTR rear mech super stiff – downshifts tough
  • cakefest
    Free Member

my xtr rear mech is really stiff and rear down shifts are taking way too much effort. have disconnected cable, and xtr shifter is super smooth both ways but as soon as i connect the mech it gets tough again.

any clues what’s going on?

matt_outandabout

Sticky cable?

everyone
    Free Member

Is the clutch a bit tight? Have you tried shifting with the clutch turned off?

cakefest
    Free Member

nope, cable is fine. have been reading about clutch being overtight, and it’s adjustable. anyone out there done that?

cakefest
    Free Member

with clutch on it’s really hard to push lower jockey wheel towards front of bike. with clutch off it’s much easier and shifting is much easier too. i want to use the clutch so what can i do to reduce stiffness?

DT78
    Free Member

I have this with my zee setup. I thought it maybe down to the chain being too short as I’ve checked everything else…was going to lengthen on replacement.

teasel
    Free Member

anyone out there done that?

Yep. Set it as loose at it would go without fouling on the housing. I was curious and just removed the clutch cover when I first got my hands on it but there’s a guide here…

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Inside-Shimanos-Shadow-Plus-Mech-and-How-To-Adjust-.html

teasel
    Free Member

I should add that I’ve read somewhere the clutch on/off switch is infinitely adjustable between the on and off position so it might be worth just having a play with that before making the internal adjustments. Not that it’s any fuss.

smatkins1
    Free Member

B screw adjustment, mech too close to cassette?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XTR rear mech super stiff – downshifts tough’ is closed to new replies.