Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • XTR or XT?
  • hilton83
    Free Member

Got some money set aside looking to move over to shimano from sram, I’m currently looking at the XT cassette and new chain, and the XTR shadow plus mech and shifter, money and weight aside I there any differences between that and the XT shadow plus mech and shifter? In the way and feel of the shifts? Also wanted to go for medium cage as I run 1×10 but the range of that is apparently 35t on the cassette? Anyone run a medium with a 36, I’m sure you can run short sram with 36 😕

the_lecht_rocks

i have full XTR drivetrain on my Nicolai. light shift action and reliable but I reckon X0 is snappier and faster.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Medium cage will work fine on a 1×10. I think the 35 you are looking at is probably the capacity rather than the maximum sprocket size.

hilton83
    Free Member

Whats the difference between capacity and maximum sprocket size?

AngusWells

If you’re sponsored, XTR. If you’re paying, XT.

You’ll not notice the difference.

suffolk
    Free Member

Xtr in the shifters if you want the super nice feel, xt parts beyond those. You won’t feel so bad about a bent mech then.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Also wanted to go for medium cage as I run 1×10 but the range of that is apparently 35t on the cassette?

Will be absolutely fine, running a medium on my 2X10 setup with 24-36 rings and 11-36 cassette.

Would go for XTR shifters and XT for everything else.

hilton83
    Free Member

Just looking at the zee shadow plus mech, anybody got any input on those? My brain says xt but the 15 year old kid inside me that used to wish I could have the high end stuff is mighty strong!

Stu661
    Free Member

I run a XTR shifter and 10 speed short cage Saint mech with a 36t chain ring and 11 to 36 cassette no bother at all. I also have a XT shifter and medium cage XT mech with the same gear combo. The XTR gives a better more positive shift than the XT. Both mechs are clutch type.

Superficial
    Free Member

XTR if you can afford it – It’s definitely nicer but not massively so. The shifters in particular feel nicer but it’s not night and day.

covbuggy
    Free Member

Hi, I run XT 10 speed on my trek remedy. I used to run the chain and cassette as well but fond the shifting was not as smooth, once changed to SRAM 11-36 cassette with kmc x10 SL chain the shifting is super smooth and work really well with the rental chainring. Only thing I would change is the shifters for xtr as they look better built.

dirtydog
    Free Member

My brain says xt but the 15 year old kid inside me that used to wish I could have the high end stuff is mighty strong!

If your happy to replace it in the event of a crash then go for it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Zee is basically an SLX mech with a short cage.

Capacity is the difference between sprocket sizes, so if you are running a 1×10 with a 11 to 36 casstte you need a mech with a capacity of 25 (36 minus 11) or more.

ska-49
    Free Member

Im running XTR shifter and mech on a 1×10 setup. The shifter feels lovely and mech shifts fine. I also have a SLX shifter and mech setup 1×10 and I can honestly say that the mech change feels the same. The difference is in the shifter. Still like my XTR for bling and weight factor though!

hilton83
    Free Member

Cool I think I’m going to go with the xtr stuff, I’ve got enough in my secret little fund, I am curious to try the zee stuff when I build up a hardtail next year tho, I have heard good things about KMC chains but also herd they don’t like certain cleaning products is this true?

composite
    Free Member

In my opinion there is no difference in feel between XT and SLX apart from the shifters. So if there is no difference in feel with XTR and XT apart form the shifters, then surely XTR shifters and SLX everything else is the way forward.

Superficial
    Free Member

When new, there’s not really much difference in ‘feel’ between XT and, say, deore shifters + mech. Both systems will shift pretty well if setup accurately. However, the deore system will develop slop and will start to perform badly after a while. This process seems to take a lot longer on higher spec stuff, presumably because the quality of bushings/bearings/pivots/springs etc is just better quality. Just because SLX feels like XTR now, doesn’t mean it will after a year’s worth of gritty rides.

br
    Free Member

Full XTR here, and if I was to go economy at all it’d be the cassette.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteFull XTR here, and if I was to go economy at all it’d be the cassette.[/quote]

+1 I’ll be going XT when my xtr wears out. The rest of the kit however is top class, just shifts soooo well 🙂

Northwind

Really don’t like the feel of the latest XTR… My SLXs are really nice and XT is similiar, but XTR goes back to classic Shimano vagueness and disconnectedness. Oh and really not a fan of the double-shift thing, too easy to do it by mistake. Maybe I’d get used to that, who knows.

It all works but I wouldn’t have it on my bikes.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I feel the love from my shifters, not as smooth as my LX verions it might suprise you to hear; quite harsh but straight in..if you get me.

I’ve not had much luck with the yumeya chain, Scram (with holes) a world (better) apart.

The less said about the XTR ti(AKA Cheese) cassette the better.

My personal opinion is XTR is just a money spinner, if you pardon the pun: can you really tell the difference between XT/XTR when the entire drive train is covered in UK winter mud, grass etc

I beg to differ, looks great in the car park tho…..which in Triathlon is THE most important factor.

Love and kisses.

:mrgreen:

Nobby

If you’re sponsored, XTR. If you’re paying, XT.

You’ll not notice the difference.

Having both on different bikes I can confirm the wrongness of this post.

If I had to economise I’d make the rear mech XT but the shifters & front mech XTR. XT cassette too.

Mr P’s comments are spot on too.

footflaps

Strangely enough I’ve had nothing but problems with my XTR RH shifter – keeps jamming and both leavers go completely loose and you can’t change gear at all. A right PITA.

Scamper
    Free Member

Not that impressed by xtr mech, seems to need everything else set up perfectly. Big fan of xt shifters, way better than deore/slx , and surely xtr shifters can’t be much better?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘XTR or XT?’ is closed to new replies.