• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XTR M985 single ring conversion
  • metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Hi all

Right i have a problem with my single speed (SS) conversion of my xtr m985 cranks. They have a BCD of 88 so i had to buy a specific narrow wide chain ring from Wolftooth components to fit nice, which it does. My problem is the drive line of the chain itself. Because of the chainring sits on the outside of the cranks (where the largest cog of a triple ring setup is) it pulls the chain out of line by quite a wat resulting in slightly poor shifting and wearing the chain and cassette out quicker. The solution would be to find a narrow/wide chainring that can be fitted to the inside of the cranks (where the second chainring would normally sit). Does anyone know where i can find one? Preferably in the UK?

I have thought of trying to simply take my wolftooth chainring off and put it on the inside but this wont work because of the moldings where the chainring connects to the cranks.

Any help would be great!

cheers

Rich

sillyoldman

According to Wolftooth, the chain line in outer position with that ring is 51mm, so only 1mm wider than the middle ring position on a standard triple. Maybe just play with BB spacers to improve chain line slightly? I think RaceFace do smaller ones than the Shimano 2.5mm versions to allow more flexibility?

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Sillyoldman- cheers for the reply. I have taken the spacer out of the drive side for a ride but this resulted in the drive side crank arm nearly touching the rear chainstay so I’ve put it back in. There are pictures of the m985 crankset with a narrow/wide ring fitted to the other side but I just can’t find out where people have got them from?! Any ideas?

njee20
    Free Member

Is this a theoretical problem, or a real world one? I only ask as I ran M985s 1×10 for 3 years on a single transmission and it shifted perfectly. Unless it’s actually giving you problems I’d not worry.

metalheadmarsden
    Free Member

Sillyoldman – thank you for taking the time to look for those. I think you’ve solved my problem the corona narrow/wide ring. I’ll give it a go!!!

Njee – it’s a real problem I’m afraid. While the wolf tooth ring works it’s just spot on enough for me and seems to wear out my drivetrain so I thought I’d try to solve it as I want to keep the XTR cranks!

Cheers!!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Shame! I didn’t have a narrow wide ring, such things didn’t exist, perhaps that made the difference!

Anonymous
    Free Member

Mine with wolf tooth 30T works fine. I did go through a phase of poor shifting but that was a bent mech hanger.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XTR M985 single ring conversion’ is closed to new replies.