Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR M970 triple to single ring
  • stevied
    Free Member

I was looking at the M980 to save a bit of weight (add some bling 😉 ) to my 1 x 10 but I’ve found some very tempting M970’s that are a very good price, brand new.
    Anything I need to be aware of running a triple as a single? Outer holes are 104mm, same as the ring I’ll be using so no probs there..

superfli
    Free Member

Nope, just the same as XT, SLX etc. I have M970 on my bike and its perfect 1×10

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, the only quirk with M970s is that you need some 2mm washers on the inner ring if you don’t use the OEM one. Irrelevant with single ring as you’ll use the middle ring position.

khani
    Free Member

Make sure they come with the removal tool, it’s not cheap if they don’t, and they aren’t coming off without one..

stevied
    Free Member

Does the chainring go on the inside or outside of the tabs on a triple? I’m thinking inside..
    If that’s the case I guess I’ll have to machine some nice caps to fit where the outer chainring arms go.

njee20
    Free Member

Inside. You don’t have to do anything, but it may look neater with caps.

momo

Yep inside, I’ve got 2 sets both with N/W rings on, lovely chainsets, light and strong but not cheap when new. Removal tool is essential, normally sell for about £20ish if you don’t get one.

If you do get some caps machined up I might be interested in a couple of sets (price dependent)

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve used a set of these for a 1X chainset with no problems, the chainring needs to go on the inside where the middle ring would have been on the triple.

treeman
    Free Member

Yep, currently running m970 cranks with a single ring in the middle ring position

stevied
    Free Member

great, thanks chaps.

I’ll have a look when they arrive to see if I can come up with some nice caps to machine, if they need it 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR M970 triple to single ring’ is closed to new replies.