Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • XTR M970 Front shifter issues?
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Both geared mtb's have these M970 shifters fitted and they're both playing up! They won't shift down at all well and sometimes take up to 10 attempts to shift.
    Had anyone else had this issue with these shifters?

Before the XTR haters start, I'm not interested about your views on price/quality, blah blah blah………
    I'm only interested if anyone else has had the same problems as me and what they did about it.

Thanks

mttm
    Free Member

Yep, mine died recently. A quick strip down and regrease availed nothing, so it's moved on to the big parts bin in the sky and a shiny new Saint shifter now adorns the bars.

I had put this down to some possible crash damage – you've got me worried now, as I have these on another bike also.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've not crashed either bike so I think there may be a worn part inside?

mttm
    Free Member

Could be. On my unit the release lever basically didn't – it just flopped about but would then spontaneously re-engage and drop the chain down a ring. Put up with this erratic performance for months, then stripped it down for a looksee. To be honest, there really wasn't that much to see, and my inclination to investigate further was very low (inclination is proportional to temperature, and it was cold). Anyway, slapped some grease about and managed to achieve precisely nothing.

Have a go – you've nothing to lose… except perhaps an eye, there's a powerful spring in there somewhere.

sheldona
    Free Member

I've done the same as you. took it apart, saw nothing wrong then rebuilt to get the same performance as before, pish all!!

Ta

mttm
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn't much help there. Must do better next time…

sheldona
    Free Member

No worries, you did confirm that is not just me!!

ziggy
    Free Member

Sounds daft I know but have you checked the wire isn't kinked in the shifter? Try a new wire, I've seen a few shimano shifters with that issue, usually ones with old corroded wires, which I suspect your bike hasn't 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

Cheers Ziggy, both bikes have new cables!

thekingofsweden

Hey i know how you can solve that issue 😆

Did you ever find that nipple that broke off at CYB ?

Maybe there is some trail pasty inside ?

Its not your techinacal prowess thats lacking of that i'm sure.Do you know how to operate said shifters maybe you just plian forgot 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

Did you ever find that nipple that broke off at CYB ?

Its not your techinacal prowess thats lacking of that i'm sure.Do you know how to operate said shifters maybe you just plian forgot

Yup thats on the Maverick KOS, the blue IF has the bigger issue and thats never broken!

****, they don't operate by themselves? Bummer!

Dougal
    Free Member

I've had one shifter go like this, handily it decided to do it both times while I was racing, ended up being stuck in the big ring.

Shifter got moved to the training bike, and oddly hasn't been a problem since.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not come across it on XTR before, but have found other shifters with a sticky pivot on the spring loaded release pawl. A drop of GT85 and a bit of wiggling of the pawl freed them off, shifting back to normal.May not be your problem, but worth a look.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Probably what coatsey said^^^
    I love fixing them like this when my boss is saying "No! Replace them! The customer WANTS new ones."

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yep my right hand shifter did this a couple of times but rectified itself, my left hand one shifts fine with the thumb (up and down shifts) but using the finger shift (conventional) nothing happens.

foxyrider
    Free Member

2 things I can come up with as I have these shifters is:

1. Your outers/inners are stuffed and need replacing – shifting down require the rear mech return spring to overcome the friction in the cable system. If this is too great it wont shift properly.

2. The cables inside the shifters have become bent and foul inside the shifters.

3. Shifter springs have gone.

4. Shifter mech is sticky/fouled up as about GT85 soaking 🙂

Shifters are poss servicable if anything inside is broke like springs 🙂 Also a friends bike had some 8 spd sram shifters and would click shift down but cable was too grotty and the rear mech wouldn't shift.

Edit – sounds like you have new cables oops – have you replaced the outers though?

sofaking
    Free Member

probably some bits of cheese in there grommit

Ti29er
    Free Member

Solved my problems by changing the cables.
    Periodically.
    Now we have smooth sfifting across all 3x XTR front mech's.

singlespeedstu

Ha ha ha ha.

Fatbloke's got shifters on his bike.

Hope that helped. 😀

sheldona
    Free Member

Yes thats solved the problem, thanks for that stu 🙄

singlespeedstu

Yes thats solved the problem, thanks for that stu

Think nothing off it. 8)

Beerbadger
    Free Member

Probably forgot to fit the mech on! 😆

Beerbadger
    Free Member

Sorry.

thekingofsweden

Stu says nothing all week then BAM !

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘XTR M970 Front shifter issues?’ is closed to new replies.