Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • xtr gear cables – what are these end caps for?
  • sadexpunk

just bought this gear cable set. ive only ever used bog standard cables and inners before, and im a bit confused about the little bits and bobs included.

now ive got to be right to assume the 2 long cables will come from my shifters. (im using sram gripshift btw)

but the 3 smaller sections have got different caps on one end. with some sort of protective sheath for half an inch or so. whys this? and am i right in guessing theyd go towards the 'mech end' of the set up?

and what are the 2 rubber things for too? cant even guess where they go. are they specific to xtr shifters or something? and i just ignore them if im using sram?

ta

racing_ralph
    Free Member

they tongues go through the cable guides and teh boot slip over – helps to weather proof exposed sections of cable

neilb67
    Free Member

You can see them fitted in this photo

nickc

They're the bits that make full length outers redundent welcome to crispshifting…

sadexpunk

ah right, thanks. so i was wrong in guessing they went mech end then, looking at that pic.

ive also got 3 bits of cable with 'tongues' and only 2 'boots'. was that an oversight? should there be three?

and is it a silly question to ask why they only go one end? a cable will move backwards and forwards during its use, so why only protect one end from sh*te?

thanks

DezB
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    They're the bits that make full length outers redundent…

Well, apart from the fact they move down the cable, therefore not doing what they are supposed to do.

poppa
    Free Member

My bike came with them fitted next to the derailleurs, presumably because that is where the cable is closest to the ground/muck.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My boots stay on my tongues (dont get to say that often!). Theres a sort of point / hook on the tongues that allows the boot move a bit but still keep the tongue covered.

I dont know why you got 2 boots – there was 3 in my set. I used them where there was most likelyhood of filth eg on the seatpost and stays.

poppa
    Free Member

I thought the point was that the tongue and boot are long enough that the boot overlaps the tongue throughout the mechs full travel.

sadexpunk

that sounds like it makes sense poppa, but it doesnt look like its the case 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well, apart from the fact they move down the cable, therefore not doing what they are supposed to do.

They can move down the cable, a spot of glue sorts that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just to throw a possible spanner in the works, does gripshift still reqire 1.1 mm cables instead of the normal 1.2 mm cables? Not sure as I've not come across gripshift for over a decade but seem to remember this once being the case.

nickc

Mine don't move. One without the boot is for front mech. If you have under top tubs routing you don't need a boot as muck will just come out anyway

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Onzadog…

1.1 and 1.2mm cables?

You mean the 1:1 or 1:2 ratio that Sram and Shimano use? (Making Gripshift incompatible with anything other than a Sram rear mech)

poppa
    Free Member

I think nowadays Shimano use 1.2mm thick cables and SRAM 1.1mm thick cables. I am told it is ok to use 1.1mm cables in outers designed for 1.2mm cables, which makes sense.

Onzadog
    Free Member

so it's not me going mad. I remember someone having issue with a 1.2mm shimano cable getting draggy inside a gripshift and having to order gripshift inners and a tube of "jonnysnot".

I know I'm not getting it confused with the actuation ratios. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘xtr gear cables – what are these end caps for?’ is closed to new replies.