Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • XTR Crankset vs Race Face SIX or SL – Hightower
  • dynastar
    Free Member

Hi

Busy trying to plan my next build – Santa Cruz Hightower.

If you had to choose between XTR crankset or Race Face Carbon Crank SIXC or SL what would you go for? Any experience? What actually is the difference between the SIXC and Next SL?

Also is 170 the right crank arm length for a SC Hightower? Finally 30 or 32 Teeth Chainring?

Any advice much appreciated.

M

Rorschach
    Free Member

Also is 170 the right crank arm length for a SC Hightower? Finally 30 or 32 Teeth Chainring?

Definitely need fewer details.
    Maybe.

Northwind

I broke 2 Next SLs, metal bits came loose in the carbon… there’s a revised version which was supposed to fix that but apparently doesn’t. The Sixc is a beefier crank, I’ve seen reports of the same failure but nothing like as often, it seems like they just made the Nexts too light. I thought about the sixc as a replacement but tbh they’re not that light really.

(I actually ended up replacing with a set of old XTR M970s, which are barely heavier than most carbon options, stiff, and very strong… but I suspect you’re after new? I can’t speak for newer XTR)

Crank arm and ring size are both personal taste really. I like 170, gearing depends too much on your riding and your legs but, for whatever it’s worth, I default to 30T. Partly because it’s the smallest that fits on my cranks 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

I agree with northwind. A few friends had the rf carbon cranks and the pedal inserts all came loose. Rf warranted them all and were good to deal with but it put me off and I bought a pair of xtr M9020 cranks. They are very light, stiff and if they are like my old xt cranks they will be bomb proof.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I’ve just built a Nomad with Hope Spiderless Cranks – they are things of beauty!!

tomhoward

I’ve been very impressed with XX1 carbon ones on a nomad and 5010

poah
    Free Member

XT for me, don’t see the point in spending all that extra cash.

dynastar
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys: ill have a look at your recommendations. Id be ordinarily going for XT but friend offering me a deal from his shop account and so eager to give XTR a try.

poah
    Free Member

I’d rather have an Alu crank than a carbon one but you’re only saving about 100g with the xtr race over the XT. I take it you’re getting them at a really good price

Northwind

poah – Member

I’d rather have an Alu crank than a carbon one but you’re only saving about 100g with the xtr race over the XT.

I’d want to know how much of that is in the rings, too. I remember weighing an older series SLX, XT and XTR and the arms were pretty similar, most of the weight change was in the rings

damascus
    Free Member

My aerozine x1 cranks weighed less than xtr. They were also changeable from 170/2.5/5 with an insert.

I guess it all depends what you are after?

Weight, cost, stiffness, strength, bling, fashion?

poah
    Free Member

Xtr crank arms are 100g lighter, I was assuming the same N/W ring would be on both to compare.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mate has just got the SIXC’s and the look nice and chunky and the direct mount looks great too. Also prefer the attachment methods with a lot less to get wrong than a shimano crank, beefier splines are harder to damage too.

julians
    Free Member

I have the XTR m9000 on my bike, friend has the NEXT SL on his. He hasnt broken his yet, but from reading on here and elsewhere that seems to be only a matter of time.

I previously had shimano slx cranks, and I cant tell any difference between the xtr and slx in actual use. Yes the XTR is lighter on the scales, but feels no different in use.

I’d save your money and go for XT or even SLX.

timbud
    Free Member

If can get a deal why not go for the XTRs?
    I’ve had mine on for well over a year including 3 months smashing around the Alps… Apart from a couple of minor rocks dings and the usual wear marks they’re still going strong.
    Well recommended.
    Would definitely buy again if I ever need to replace them.

twonks

I’ve had loads of different cranks over the years and the only ones not to break / bend or just be frankly poor are Shimano.

Currently have SLX on one bike and M970 on my main bike. Bought the M970 new many years ago and it hasn’t put a foot wrong through 4 or 5 frame changes and 4 bottom brackets.

The arms do wear badly but a set of recently applied slik graphics has restored the nice new look. All very cosmetic and I didn’t think much if the graphics when the sheet arrived through the post but, when on the cranks they look superb and give them a new lease of life*

*clearly that bit is rubbish as there only stickers but, one shouldn’t ignore the power of thought and perception 😆

rondo101
    Free Member

I had the problem Northwind refers to with my Next SL whilst in the Alps last year of all places. Thankfully I’d packed a spare set of SLXs. Replaced with SixC under warranty and no recurrence so far but not sure I’d buy again.

They look great, are really light but aren’t as reliable as shimano.

Northwind

timbud – Member

If can get a deal why not go for the XTRs?

Less good single ring support is the main thing- the option of going down to a smaller ring can be pretty useful (I get on OK with mine but it’s definitely a point to SRAM, Raceface etc)

squealer
    Free Member

I have next sl on one bike and xtr 9020 on another.

The race face have been on the bike for 2 years without any problems at all and they’ve had a lot of abuse. I rate them very highly, probably the best chainset around imo.

I’ve got the xtr on my other bike because merlin have them on offer for £195 with chainring. If that wasn’t the case I’d have gone next sl again but having said that I’m happy with the xtr as well, they just dont look as bling and that’s what’s important right?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘XTR Crankset vs Race Face SIX or SL – Hightower’ is closed to new replies.