• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by S_J.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XTR crankset help req'ed
  • knottie8
    Free Member

Im fitting a secound hand crankset for a friend and it looks like the crank axle is too long ? I have used the spacers behind the BB bearings as per shimano instructions but still have 3-4mm between the crank and bearing. The crank arm adjuster wont take it up . What am I missing here ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 spacers total?

seven
    Free Member

BB shell size?

Is BB a 68 or 73mm and does this match the frame?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Does this help?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/servicing-xtr-cranks.htm

Were you given the thumb tightened tensioning ring for taking up the slack as shown on the piccy below behind the crank arm on the non-drive side?

S_J
    Free Member

I’m assuming it’s an M970?? Edit: PIC above wasn’t there when I started typing! First of all make sure the tension adjustment ring on the non drive-side crank arm is snug to the arm before you put it on. Also when you put the non drive side crank arm on make sure it’s engaged on the axle properly – I often give it a gentle tap with a rubber mallet to get it seated – after checking it’s lined up properly! If it’s not seated on the axle far enough before you start tightening you’ll find you have the problem you describe above.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you done it up chuffing tight? It needs to be just a tiny bit less than “shit, this is going to break the tool”.

Coleman
    Free Member
    anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The crank arm adjuster wont take it up

I think he has done that guys.

I had the same thing – are you sure the BB shell really is 68 or 73mm? Some frames that have been faced and re-faced are now too narrow, and extra spacer can help. Thinner spacers that fit can also be found in some old cassettes if you break them by punching the pins out.

knottie8
    Free Member

I have the no 4 adjuster but it wont adjust anywhere near the distance I need. What is no 5 in the pic ? a spacer(x2) ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yip if its not the tensioning ring thats missing I agree with anotherdeadhero with the BB width – measure it?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

part 5 in the exploaded diag is the little rubber ring that is pressed into part 4, I think. Not a spacer.

knottie8
    Free Member

So basicaly just space out the bearing cups then ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm so “I have the no 4 adjuster” – you mean its not that model or you haven’t got the adjuster? If you haven’t this is your problem as the adjuster will give you 2-3 mm at least?

S_J
    Free Member

I doubt it’s the spacing of the BB. If there were too many spacers the axle would be too short if anything. If there weren’t enough, then when you tigten the cups down it will crush the internal sleeve and you’d probably struggle to get the axle through anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XTR crankset help req'ed’ is closed to new replies.