Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XTR Cables !
  • santacrews
    Free Member

Went out to-day and my cables froze !

Not a happy bunny trying to kick the front mech in a bit with the heel so the chain drops onto the granny ring !

I,m willing to try XTR as oposed to GORE ! i,m running out of expletives !
    Where can i find it !

ME: Hi do u sell XTR cables ? Both Inners and outers !

LBS: “NO” we sell this ! points to humongous roll of cable !
    Its made in exactly the same factory as the XTR stuff the only thing thats different is the box it comes in !

ME: OH ! I dont really rate that stuff !

LBS: Really, Have u tried it ! Book your bike in ! we can have a look at it in another 3 weeks !

ME: Yes u fitted that SH!T a month ago and its NO F@cking use !

LBS: OH I dont recall !

ME: Yes you do ! My pride and joy was in bits all over the floor and that nice man who taped the cables to my frame instead of fixing them with cable ties was riding his bike outside the shop with my forks on his bike ! …………………….

Anyway !
    The Counseling hasnt helped ! Only Joking !

Where can i get some from !

Ta !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Xtr outer is or at least was the same as sp41 IIRC

Not sure what half your post means!

santacrews
    Free Member

Oh I just went off on one trying to explain the conversation i had with the Bike shop that insisted on fitting SH!TE cables to my bike !

ziggy
    Free Member

The key to good cables is maintenence. Get some lube in them every few rides and it doesn’t really matter what cables you have.

And yes SP41 outer is XTR without the fancy rubber sealed end caps, although you can buy them separately.

palmer77
    Free Member

Is that why my mechs weren’t working, cost me a chain!!!

Northwind

The cable ends with XTR are pretty effective at keeping water out which stops them freezing… The cables and outers are nothing special but the kits are decent value.

coatesy
    Free Member

We have XTR in stock at Sunset(as long as we don’t have a rush on it, only buy 10m rolls as it’s expensive and my manager’d have a fit if I bought a 50m roll),it’s Shimano SP41 pre-greased outer at £3.99 per metre, and the end caps are 85p each.Can easily mail it to you, give us a call on 02920371321.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Palmer you can fix your chain.

85p a cap WTF!!!

coatesy
    Free Member

85p goes with the xtr tag(eXToRtionate), SRP from Shimano i’m afraid, normally chuck the cheapo Clarks ones in free if we’re doing the job.

neninja
    Free Member

The best solution is surely to run full length outer with sealed caps at each end

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye I know it’s RRP but the mark up on small stuff is huge!

Northwind

neninja – Member

“The best solution is surely to run full length outer with sealed caps at each end”

Probably but in practice I’ve never had any bother with open cables as long as it’s good kit.

Ah but! Shimano really annoy me with the XTR kit, the outer comes pre-cut. There’s enough in there to do a full rear mech run, but it’s cut into bits so if you’re doing full outers the stuff that comes with it is totally useless and you have to buy more off the roll. Why not supply it uncut? It wouldn’t be enough but it wouldn’t be wasted either. Grr shimano, grr!

Jeffus
    Free Member

My LBS does XTR outer on the roll, I run that with XTR inners, lubed with the little bottle of white lube thats gone from my mind, the last set lasted 11 months before the cable broke, thats with xtr shifters and mech, shifted fine right upto the snap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘XTR Cables !’ is closed to new replies.