• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XTR BB Failed 4 months?
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Hi,

I upgraded my SLX BB last year when it died after 2 solid years. I stuck an XTR one in there because it wasn’t much more thinking it would wear better. After 4 months riding no more than once to twice a week on south downs it has developed a really bad cracking noise which after today is now 3 solid crunches per rotation, is this normal? Anyone else experienced this? Could it be something else? Or am I just unlucky?

Over with the questions

druidh
    Free Member

My first XTR BB lasted over two years – riding it 6 or 7 times a week.

I have another which is now 3 years old, but ridden as regularly.

Northwind

They’re not any better than SLX/XT in my experience but shouldn’t be any worse. What are the cranks? I’d suspect overtightening personally- pretty much everyone overtightens their cranks. But I’d want to have a look inside and see if the bearings are full of dirt or water, or if they’re just squashed.

Kit
    Free Member

My first one failed within 6 months of light use. Sent it to Merlin, whom I bought it from, and Shimano did a warranty replacement. Worth checking out!

ali69er
    Free Member

I am a bit gutted, part of the problem is that when I took off the cranks (deore) and tried to fit the new BB I found out the thread were knackered so had to take it to a bike shop, the mechanic told me that it was difficult to get the new one to take and I may not get another one in there because of thread stripping so I fear if I take it out it could be new frame time

andyl
    Free Member

remove cranks and give the outside of the BB and the cranks a good clean. Could just be grit caught in there.

As for SLX/XT v XTR I am sure they are the same. Only a couple of £ difference at Rose who charge a much more realistic price than UK stores and I am sure that is down to the lower volume sales and the black cups.

If it has failed I would also look at installation as being the cause over any problem with the BB.

ali69er
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, I have mused over it being the pedals, but the crunching is so loud now I cant believe pedal bearings would make that sound

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Strip the whole lot out, clean and liberally grease everything. Basically any surface that touches another surface then put it all back together with more grease.

ali69er
    Free Member

Should I risk removing the BB given that the threads were in really poor shape last time I looked at them?

Hadge
    Free Member

I think you’ve answered your own question, it’s definitely a problem due to installation when it was fitted. When the mechanic said it was hard to fit I would imagine it’s been tight going in so it’s therefore squeezed in and so tight on the cranks sort of crushing the bearings. If the frame is worth it I’d get it taken to a decent bike shop who can sort the BB threads out properly and then you should be fine. If the frames well past it get a new one and see if you can get a warranty replacement for your old XTR BB and fit that to your new frame.

Jeffus
    Free Member

A good bike shop will chase the threads out and face the BB if need be,

anc
    Free Member

Betd can put a new thread in the frame for you if it goosed. Premature bb failure is almost always caused by installation issues.

shortcut

What Jeffus said!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

if you think its the bb mate id take it out no point worrying about the frame that can always be repaired if needs be and no point leaving a a suspect bb in the frame if its that loud what ever happens its probably going to cost you somewhere along the line to get it sorted

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t really agree with hadge’s explanation unless it’s ended up installed out of line. tight threads won’t directly affect the bearings.

br
    Free Member

First thing you need to do is strip and clean it all; BB, cranks, pedals. Then go from there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XTR BB Failed 4 months?’ is closed to new replies.