Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • XTR 2011
  • poppa
    Free Member

It all looks lovely.

njee20
    Free Member

Huh? We've confirmed that about 10 posts ago!

From all the info I've seen around it looks like the only difference is the double chainset though.

It's a shame, I'd happily have an XTR groupset that forewent durability and weighed less.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isnt XTR supposed to be as light as practicaly possible, they never claim the lightest but will happily let ther sponsored DH riders use them, I'm guessing if you used Specialized or FSA's carbon cranks on a trip to the alps they'd laugh you out the shop when they broke, XTR woud probably be fine.

Bit like SLX, its no different in terms of strength or durability to many others but seems to be marketed as such, its spec'd on plenty of lower end XC race bikes so clearly isnt intended purely for gravity junkies.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    poppa
    Free Member

What are you talking about njee20? Stop rambling! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, XTR is a compromise, that's what I'm saying. I'd happily have parts that weren't any good for Alpine DH (as I'm not doing that!) but weighed less.

ac282

Why do people think they need super heavy stuff for the alps? Do people ride carefully all year and suddenly become downhill monsters for their one week in Morzine?

njee20
    Free Member

I was gonna pick up on that, the idea that a weeks riding in the Alps with carbon cranks would lead to death is amusing, perhaps the gravity is much stronger so you land everything harder!?

crazy-legs

Or the marketing departments have done their jobs well and everyone is now convinced that you can't do Alpine riding without a full Saint groupset!

😉

That new XTR looks lovely, the brakes in particular are very sleek.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Wow, why bother waiting for the embargo on these things eh? Embargo was till Monday…

ratherbeintobago

Njee – the article suggests there will indeed be an XTR double & bash.

Gary – that's fine, except if you're a subscriber you often get magazines a few days ahead of the print date…

Andy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you rode the same stuff in the alps as you do at home then fine, I though the whole point was to use chairlifts and enjoy the downhills more, which usualy means faster, rocker, more jumps. If you'r just going for the XC why not stay in the UK?

that's what I'm saying. I'd happily have parts that weren't any good for Alpine DH (as I'm not doing that!) but weighed less.

Then use Dura Ace or something even lighter? Nico did the mega on ultegra so make of that what you will though!

crazy-legs

I can't believe that some people think that XTR is not capable of doing "longer slightly faster downhills"?!

As thisisnotaspoon says ^^ a lot of DHers use road rear mechs since they're lighter and have a slightly snappier spring action (also much shorter than MTB mechs so more ground clearance). You only have to watch that youtube video of trials on a road bike to realise that the bike will cope fine. You don't need specific "Alpine" gear for one week in Morzine per year!

Hell, I've seen guides in the Alps and Pyrenees on ti hardtails outriding guests, we got overtaken by some French locals on carbon XC hardtails (saddles up, stems down) on a descent in Luchon, even the guide on his "hardcore HT" couldn't stay with them.

Cast iron guarantee that the groupset will be more than capable of a week in the alps!

njee20
    Free Member

So how light could they make it if they did start making compromises! XTR is always going to be very 'conservative', so they can sell to everyone. SRAM specifically marketed XX at a certain niche, it'd be good to see Shimano do that, and push things a bit further IMO.

Then use Dura Ace or something even lighter?

I use XX…

However, I'd rather use Shimano stuff, as I generally prefer it. I'll just have to see what happens with this groupset, suspect I'll just go back to a mix and match as in the past!

Not seen anything to suggest an XTR double and bash, although it wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

lovewookie

can't help think that the XTR's resemble these:

Grafton speed stix. yum.

packer
    Free Member

Nice picture on p32 of double crankset & wide platform trail pedals.

XTR platform pedals??

ratherbeintobago

XTR platform pedals??

Probably Candy-sized by the look of them.

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

Probably something like a PD-M647 with slightly better internals. Makes sense.

xcstu
    Free Member

ooooh yes please… look very nice 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Tech Docs are online. Looks like the new chainset goes back to the old style with 2 pinch bolts, probably no great surprise considering M970 was teh only group to adopt the other style.

Prices in Euros too, looks pretty sensible.

ratherbeintobago

All looks quite good; am I right in interpreting things that the Lefty wheelset's not been updated?

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

There's not tech docs for everything, so don't take that as an indication, according to that there's no cassette!

ziggy
    Free Member

Official Shimano XTR 2011 site HERE

Weights and everything you need to know.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

standard cranks lighter than xx….and more classy.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Will stick to SRAM for shifters, cassette and rear mech but the front mech and chainset are definitely of interest.

Brakes look nice but until they are thoroughly tested, I'm sticking with Elixirs.

njee20
    Free Member

The brakes aren't as light as they look like they should be, although knowing Shimano they'll have steel hardware everywhere.

Chainset ratios look a bit off, I think that's a mistake myself, would've liked to see a wider spread, as per SRAM.

ratherbeintobago

The 38/26 crank looks a bit odd – looks like it needs a bashring.

Andy

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘XTR 2011’ is closed to new replies.