Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • XTR 2011
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Arent swastikas the other way round?

nedrapier

Arent swastikas the other way round?

depends whther they're the ancient symbol for good luck, or the the nazi symbol for being a nazi

Edit: would you believe there's actully a bit more to it than that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

nickc

Hardly matters though really does it? Bet your first thought wasn't "hmmmm nice use of ancient symbol for good luck there Shimano…"

njee20
    Free Member

Can't really see the swastika either to be honest, you must really be looking for that sort of thing!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bet you can now….

Olly
    Free Member

that mech is v v pretty

nickc

Bet you can now….

Yep, all I look at now… 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Bet you can now….

Not really, that's what made me say it, I went back and looked at it specifically!

cookeaa

Mmmmm, break out the Brasso, pretty and shiney but probably not functionally and weight wise that much better than 2011 XT…

showed that pic of the crank to a non-bikey colleague he reckoned it reminded him a little of:

njee20
    Free Member

pretty and shiney but probably not functionally and weight wise that much better than 2011 XT

The key word is 'much' which is very subjective. It'll be lighter, if that's worth the extra cost is something else. I wonder if they'll only do a 2×10 on XTR.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Read this months STW magazine to understand the thinking behind Dyna-Sys Nick. It is more than just one more sprocket.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I've read the thinking behind it, I'm just not quite sure I see the point, I think SRAM's solution is better I must admit, although I suspect I'll be back on Shimano next year, sensibly priced if nothing else, and I'd rather talk to you than Fishers 🙂

nickc

Can't help thinking Dyna Wotsits is a bit of a rushed stop gap personally…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhh yes, much much more????

It's the same 9speed sprockets, just a little closer together! Just like 8 speed to 9 speed (before that we were missing shifting ramps etc and just had bent teeth to help the chain allong). Nothing revolutionaly in groupsets since HG chains and cassettes (unless you went rapid rise, which is awesome IMO), thats obvious as no one (campag, sram, shimano, or any of the other smaller groupset makers) has made a new design other than lighter/stronger/stiffer/more gears in the last 15 years.

It wont stop me buying up a 2010 crankset though when the racer ditch them 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like 9 speed, its better than 8 speed, but even worn (1.1% and counting) 9speed XT shifts well enough for me and unlike road riding I don't find myself between ratio's all the time.

It'll be interesting seeing if manufacturers go for the new stuff, or if they do what spesh does and get last years stuff without groupset branding and use it to keep costs down. I suspect a few will offer 9 speed with an option to upgrade, so effectively 10 speed SLX or 9 speed XT (or even XTR) for the same price.

packer
    Free Member

Wonder if they are still doing dual control levers?
    and IS mount brake calipers?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and IS mount brake calipers?

Lighter for the rear brake as no one makes post mount frames, you can buy 2 front callipers if you want to run anything other than the standard (160mm?) disk. Its been that way since the first XTR brakes on m960.

njee20
    Free Member

I would say outboard bearing chainsets are a pretty massive leap forward, I know they came in 2003, but that's still a pretty significant advance. SRAM have done some novel things with their transmission too, notably the PowerDome cassettes, then there's electronic shifting in Di2 (I know Mektronic was around years ago).

It makes sense that a lot of the evolution in MTBs happened in their infancy, now it's just about 'tweaking' what's out there. New transmissions will work better than the old ones, how much so/whether it's worthwhile or the Emperor's New Clothes is up to you!

njee20
    Free Member

Lighter for the rear brake as no one makes post mount frames,

Cannondale do, the Flash, and the new Jekyll and Scalpel are post mount, means you can't run a 140 rotor, but saves the weight of the mounting bracket.

I'd be surprised if any of the big manufacturers don't offer 10 speed transmissions on that level of bike. In 1999 there was mass adoption of 9 speed, right down to Rockhopper level.

packer
    Free Member

What I meant was, are they still doing IS mount calipers? The only pics so far are post mount.

njee20
    Free Member

I doubt it, IS with adapters only.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Outboard bearings, OK I'll grant you those, I was thinking more in the shifting department.

The powerdome/CNC cassette is nice, but I can't see it filtering down, being alloy it wont last as long as steel ones, and hasn't a 3rd party already made a lighter/cheeper/harder Ti one based on a more traditional alloy spider? Maybe it'll be used for the top few gears to shed weight where the wear is slower.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Those brakes look fancy! are they designing the mechs to hold onto as much mud as possible with all those little nooks and crannies?

njee20
    Free Member

being alloy it wont last as long as steel ones,

The very top sprocket is alu, which is a 32 or 36t, and will wear far slower than a chainring, then is individually replaceable. The rest is steel, on the road cassettes it's all steel.

Yes you can get cheaper full ti cassettes, but they don't shift well and wear our quickly.

The new X.0 PinDome cassette (or whatever it's called) looks very neat, most of the weight saving of XX for half the cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I stand corrected, I though the entire XX cassette was alloy.

njee20
    Free Member

Nay, that would wear unbelievably fast, the KCNC ones fall apart if you look at them, and Recon alu ones are meant to be good for about 200 miles at most!

ratherbeintobago

There's an article about 2011 XTR in this month's WMB, official pictures & all. Range will be divided into 2 – XTR race (2×10) & XTR trail (3×10), apparently.

I wonder if the Lefty wheels will still be available?

Andy

GaryLake
    Free Member

Is that WMB already out? Embargo is still on for a little bit yet…

njee20
    Free Member

Like the sound of XTR race, does that mean other things slightly more 'slimmed down'!

nonk
    Free Member

njee while your on chap have you used a KCNC cassette at all?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suspect 90% of people will go for the 2×10 in some way or other, either with the whatever the fast boys use (40-28) or a more trail friendly setup and just buy the tripple cranks and dtich the outer ring.

njee20
    Free Member

The list of components shows an FC-M985 for 28/40, 30/42 and 30/44. Dare I say it, but I think SRAM have actually got that right too, with the wide ratio cassette a 28/42 or a 26/39 makes more sense IMO. Sure they'll have some logic behind it, but I'd question it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What are the SRAM options?

TBH I don't find I'm particularly limited with 24-36 and 11-32. But It is almost all worn out, the mechs are donkeys years old and the shifters are the old SRAM shimano compatible ones so I could if I wanted probably justify it purely on the need for a replacement groupset! Then again, hopefully 9speed stuff will be cheep for a few years.

ratherbeintobago

Is that WMB already out? Embargo is still on for a little bit yet…

I've got my copy here – probably came early as I subscribe though. Nice picture on p32 of double crankset & wide platform trail pedals.

Andy

Edit: the double options are meant to be 44/30, 42/30, 40/28 & 38/26. Cassette goes up to 36t

njee20
    Free Member

What are the SRAM options?

24/36 (on X.0 and below for next year), 26/39, 28/42 and 30/45.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I cant say I need the granny ring to big sprocket very often, I use it, but only becasue I tend to go big(well, middle)-big then drop into the granny, and shift back allong the cassette If I'm in a hurry to get to the top.

So if anything the bigger Shimano might help me out by stopping me being such a lazy bugger :-p
    Would have liked to see 2 close together though, a 26-36 would suit me fine (one gear for uphill, one for down) as the overlap doesnt bother me.

njee20
    Free Member

But with the bigger rear cassette, a 28 will give you a very similar gear to a 26 with a 9 speed set up, then you may as well have the bigger front ring, again, with the bigger cassette the 39 will be quite usable, and you won't spend as much time right at the bottom of the block as you would with a 36.

poppa
    Free Member

I like the Nazi crank.

Maybe an Indian influence?

http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

ratherbeintobago

More in MBR; suggests that the 24/36 is a double & bash.

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

On which groupset? I would assume the Shimano 24/36 is double/bash, but I've not seen anything saying they'll do that on XTR?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘XTR 2011’ is closed to new replies.