Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XT with Road Front mech –aagghhh confused
  • gazerath
    Free Member

Is there any way to use a 9 speed triple XT front Mech with a 9 speed triple XT shifters with a 9 speed triple road front mech?

Getting very confused reading up.

I have to use a braze front mech on as its a planet x kaffenback frame and banded mechs don’t seem to fit no matter how clever I try to be.

Building it into a bike packing bike and wanted to use parts I already had. I’ve got it set as a double at the moment but the mech I’m using won’t let me drop it into the granny ring.

1415chris
    Free Member

Shimano pre dyna-sys mtb and road groupsets were fully compatible.
    It was quite common practice using road fron dlr with mtb shiffters.
    I used to have combo xtr shiffters with dura ace 7900 front. And still using this derailleur but now with sram xx. I don’t think there willbe any difference in the case of the tripple one.

scaredypants

9 speed triple XT front Mech with a 9 speed triple XT shifters with a 9 speed triple road front mech?

you’re not the only one who’s confused – that’s 2 different mechs you seem to want to use

Are you sure the mechs are backed-off enough on the limit screws ?
    Are the cables clean, the right length and free-running ?
    DOes the shifter definitely release cable at the “third” click ?

I think it should work

scaredypants

what ring does the mech hang over if you mount it without any cable attached ?

mboy
    Free Member

You want a Shimano R443 or R773 front derailleur. Or switch to some flat bar roadie Groupset shifters such as Sora or Tiagra.

Road and MTB front mechs have different cable pull ratios which can make combining the 2 setups a pain. You can sometimes just about get a road triple front mech to work ok with a triple MTB shifter, but it’s just SO much easier using an R773 or R443 front derailleur that’s designed for road groupsets but to be used with MTB shifters.

P20

Maverick advice on set up

From memory when I had my Klein with the Maverick monolink suspension, you have to set it up with slack on the first shift. Eg it does nothing in the first part of the throw. The above link will explain it better

gazerath
    Free Member

Well I got myself a 105 10 speed triple front mech braze on.

And I have got it to work with an xt triple chainset and xt triple front shifter.

I just put a little slack in the cable, adjusted the stops and now I can get on all three rings. There is a bit of rub on the granny ring on lower gears but I am happy not to use these. It means I now have a steel road touring frame that I can take up stupidly steep off road climbs.

Thanks for all the advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XT with Road Front mech –aagghhh confused’ is closed to new replies.