Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XT wheel spoke broke :(
  • IamSam
    Free Member

As the title suggests I have broke a spoke, and damaged 3 more, on my rear XT wheel went to take it out last night and non of my spoke keys fit the lovely red anodised nipples. This got me thinking, I guess that there is a specific tool to remove them like most shimano stuff so are the spokes funny as well.

I think that I will try and fix this my self so any tips or past experience with XT wheels would be invaluable

What should have been a quick clean has turned into me being grumpy and not riding tonight bum nuts

Thanks Sam

cheers_drive

I have XT 775/778 wheels and I've had spokes on order for a months so I have the ready if one brakes. I've had bad experience with Shimano factory wheels before – waiting several month for a road wheel spoke so I thought I'd get some spares in advance.

The special spoke key came with my bike but you can buy spares from the same place you get the spokes from. I order from here http://www.sbrsports.com/90-419463 but I'm still waiting for them to be in stock.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Which model wheel do you have Sam?

IamSam
    Free Member

775 the less tough ones 🙄

Mister-P
    Free Member

The spokes for those are currently available as is the little tool to hold the nipple.

Part numbers are –

4D7 9802 drive side
    4D7 9803 non drive
    4DA 0900 tool

IamSam
    Free Member

Ok now I know what to get any body any Idea where to get shimano spokes the tool seam easy

Mister-P
    Free Member

ASk your LBS to order the bits in. They are post free so they can have them next day without making up a larger order.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I'm not 100% sure, but for XTR wheels there's a small nut that goes on the hub end of the spoke. The replacement spokes do not come with a nut, so if you can save the ones off your damaged spokes I would.

I waited 3 months for my spokes, and then they came with no nut!!! AAAARrrrggghhhh. I even went back to the forest in the hope of finding the half spoke with the nut on.

Good Luck!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XT wheel spoke broke :(’ is closed to new replies.