Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • XT vs XTR spd pedals
  • big-lad
    Free Member

looking at getting some new pedals. are the xtr worth the extra £40 over the xt version

RealMan
    Free Member

I don’t think xt are worth the extra £30 or whatever over the standard ones. So a better question is, is xtr worth the extra £70 over the normal ones?

ianpinder
    Free Member

The xtr trial ones look interesting, however, i don’t notice any difference between my standard pair and my xtr pair.

big-lad
    Free Member

my thoughts were that i have killed 4 sets of m520’s in the time my mate has a 1 set of xtr pedals that still have no play in them

ianpinder
    Free Member

I hve not killed either, and I’ rather larger then the average big lad. Wait for the 2011 version and get the trial version.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I went for XT because they match my bike. Oh dear…

RealMan
    Free Member

I went for XT because they match my bike. Oh dear…

Cough, +1, cough.

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Have 2 sets of xtr’s and 1 of xt’s, springs gone tits up in the xt’s, after 6 months but have done 12months plus on the xtr’s and still work sweet so well worth the till. log into merlin and get them ordered!!

JohnnyPanic

I’ve got xtr’s on one bike (to match the bike) and 540’s on the other. 540’s are supposed to have better sealing than 520’s.

Unless you’re after something to match your bike the choice is between 540 & xtr in my opinion. The xtr’s are a little bit smoother in action, but whether that’s worth the extra dosh is up to you.

crashdummy
    Free Member

I have XTRs on my bike and had them on the last one (that was stolen). They were much better than the basic versions (M520?) that came with my P7 pro. I went for XTR after searching and finding them for only £10 more than the cheapest XT (and they umm .. match my bike).

trail_rat
    Free Member

got xtr on two of my bikes and got some mid range wellgos on my road bike all are smooth after 18 months and the wellgoes are years old but still smooth

the 520s i used to run worked but were rough after about 6 months – but remained functional for a good 5 years after that and are still in my spares box.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i picked up some xtr’s for £30 brand new with cleats…

Looking at them and from what ive heard m540’s are the same as XTs which are 99% the same as XTRs. The XTRs have some fancy low friction coating.

**** knows!

bol

My xtrs have been from bike to bike over the last year or two and despite some pretty fearce scrapes are still performing faultlessly. I’ve got riding buddies who have been through multiple sets of 540s in the same period. The new ones should be shipping in a couple of weeks. Going to treat myself for purely aesthetic reasons.

abennell
    Free Member

Had my 540’s for over 3 years after destroying 2 sets of 520’s, still run fairly smooth and they have been through all types of s**t and keep on going

ianpinder
    Free Member

Saying that, my large nukeproof flat pedals are lighter then my xtr clipless

Trimix
    Free Member

If you did a blind test I doubt anyone would feel / notice any differences. So really you are paying for the letter “R”. I bought cheap ones, not even XT, but they look very similar. They were cheap enough that if they last a year Im happy – so far they seem set to last a lot longer than that.

Once you have hit a few rocks you wont even see the lettering on the side of them anyway. Save you money for performace related upgrades, or Beer.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

On various bikes I run 520’s, 540’s, XT’s and XTR’s. Really can’t tell the difference between any of them and all are at least 3 years old.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I just upgraded from mega cheap 520s which came apart to XTs. There isn’t much difference clipping in and out but it is a bit smoother. The XTs feel like a quality product and do weigh a bit less.

Wouldn’t bother going to XTR for pedals.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Got 520s, 540s and XT – all look similar but the XTs are the coolest 😉

nickc

I use 540’s ’cause I wanted silver…

grunty
    Free Member

I’ve had the same pair of 520’s for 5 and a bit years – no probs and I’m a fat bloke (16st).

What the hell are you guys doing to them?

richmtb

No experience of XT’s but I’ve have a pair of 959’s that have run for 6 years flawlessly. Also got two pairs of XTR’s that are both about 3 years old and again totally flawless.

XTR pedals are absolutely bullet proof, worth the money IMHO

njee20
    Free Member

XTs are just M540s with a different finish and a higher price tag!

XTR’s do last longer than the others IMO, but not 4 times longer, so M540s are probably the more sensible option!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

XTs are just M540s with a different finish and a higher price tag!

Some say they have better bearings and materials.

Who knows? If you want black though, get XTs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nope M540s and XTs are identical apart from colours. I’ve had both in bits and it can’t see any physical differences whatsoever.

overthehill
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my XTR pedals after 6 years or so of non-maintenance.
    Bearings were shot, but that’s a good innings, I reckon.
    Went for XTs to replace them, as the models seem so closely matched these days: come back to me in 6 years for a comparison…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Got XTR 2-nd hand off Retro Bike Classifieds some 3 years ago, still perfect despite stupid mileage (over 12k miles of road and some 3k off-road).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the 2011 985’s, I’ve got £80 saved up in 20p pieces to put towards them.

spanishfly
    Free Member

I on my XC bikes have two pairs of 515 that still spin great, I have though about uprating, but I want to get 10 years out of them!

I hope this helps….

njee20
    Free Member

515s were horrible out of the box, you must have low standards 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘XT vs XTR spd pedals’ is closed to new replies.