Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XT Shifters broken :(
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Ok, so about halfway through my ride to work today I noticed that I was only able to use 6 through to 9, not a huge problem as I don't have many hills, and I still have the front 3 working.

The shifter was still shifting perfectly in the gears that did work, but it was like the shifter had reached the end of it's range after shifting up from 9 to 6.

I had a look at it when I got home, I assumed there would be a bit of something stuck in the dérailleur, but it looked absolutely fine, I think that something has actually broken inside the shifter.

Has this happened to anyone else?

mintimperial

I had a similar thing happen with some SRAM X7 shifters. Turned out that the end of the main return spring had popped out of its normal position, and wedged itself a bit further round inside the shifter, so that it produced enough pull to enable the top 5 or 6 clicks to work fairly consistently, but the bottom 3 were out of reach, as there wasn't enough tension in the spring to pull the cable round.

I was able to fix my X7 shifter by taking the cover off and figuring out where the spring was meant to go, it was pretty easy to find where it was meant to be just by looking.

You may be able to do the same yourself, but I'm not familiar with XT shifters at all, so it may not be possible. If you decide to have a go please don't blame me if all the little clicky bits inside the shifter ping out and end up under the fridge!

My LBS had no idea what was wrong and were going to send it back to SRAM for replacement, incidentally. I was going to fit gripshifts at some point anyway, so I just coughed up for new shifters and then pulled the old one to bits out of curiosity.

Radioman

Never.. used them for years….about 20yrs in various incarnations! Is it a frayed cable? ..maybe the cable come out of frame slots? Maybe outer cable end is resting on side of a guide slot on the frame…that would artificialy increase tension…Its probably something simple but the new XT shifters are top kit

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I'd try two things.. Make sure the cable hasn't slipped and try flushing the ratchet mechanism with GT85 or disc brake cleaner as the ratchet pawl springs do gum up.

MarkN
    Free Member

I have just6 had to replace one. At first I thought that some dirt etc had go in and jammed it. Copious washing and flushing and no improvement. I have been able top strip down some Deore shifters before but the XT was more formidable so I gave up on it and got a new one. I think it may have been a knackered cable in the end.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hmmm, I will take them apart when I get a chance, I don't think it will be frayed cables as they are almost brand new…. well 6 months old.

I will do it well away from the fridge!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Stupid bl00dy interweb! – repost!

coatesy
    Free Member

Generally only come across one problem with these,old grease turning sticky and gumming up the pawl that controls the ratchet mechanism inside, can usually be sorted by taking the cover/housing off and dripping GT85 onto the pawl and working it in by hand.

rubberneck
    Free Member

had an old xt RH shifter sunddenly spring apart for no aparant reason 7 miles from home………..oh, how i laughed.

im going to try this 'soak in gt85' to service my shifters but what lube would use after doing this ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Best to take it out of the housing for flushing, soaking won't do much by itself.I've found thick chain lubes to work quite well, some kind of spray-grease would probably be ideal though.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

i've got the same problem o the left hand one i can live without it for now. gt85 didn't work

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I wonder if CRC (Where I bought it from) will replace it under warranty?! Only problem with that is I'll only have a 3 speed whilst they make up there mind.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Got to be worth a try.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

bikewhisperer – Member
    I'd try two things.. Make sure the cable hasn't slipped and try flushing the ratchet mechanism with GT85 or disc brake cleaner as the ratchet pawl springs do gum up.

Agree with the GT85 action, had some LX rapidfires that were doing this at the end of last year, some GT85 sorted them. Fitted some new cables when I built up the new frame, but originals were still in working order. Post lubing was done with a slightly heavier spray lube that I get when my caravan goes in for service, they use it on the locks etc.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hmmmm…

Very bizarrely, whilst my bike was upside down and I was tightening up wheels I appear to have fixed my shifter problem. I’m guessing by bashing it on the ground.

Still now it works!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Well, finally broke my LX on the CRC ride yesterday, so have bought a new shifter, £32 from CRC for an XT. Can’t complain as I’ve had lots of use from the LX ones, but from the feel of how they’re working at the moment I have a feeling they are beyond GT85 – less gears & a much stiffer action than last time, when GT85 rescued things.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XT Shifters broken :(’ is closed to new replies.