Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XT ring compatability query ?
  • iainc

I am currentky running 2×10, with 38-24 up front. Big ring is labelled ’38-24AM’. I am about to replace rings, with same sizes, and I have a new big ring labelled ’38-26AK’. On the packet it is shown as XT785, 38T, 2x10s. Bolts all match up etc. is this just the same ?

Thanks

boxelder

I think the positioning of the shifting ramps/pins may be slightly different.
    Don’t quote me on that though.
    Sure it’ll work fine

iainc

ok, think will swop anyway, this one will be on classifieds in a mo, cheers

perthmtb
    Free Member

It will fit, but shifting will be sub-optimal. Difference is that the ramps extend further down on the AM to help the chain up from the smaller 24T ring, and the ‘phase’ of the teeth will be different to match the different distance the chain has to move (sorry – not easy to describe that one!)

Not sure how much difference all this makes to shifting in real life, but at the price they charge for XT rings may as well get the right one if you can and give yourself the best starting point.

iainc

^^^ thanks for info. I have just ordered the correct one and popped the 38-26 onto the classifieds.. The pitfalls fo buying online from Germany without proper research I guess 😳

andyl
    Free Member

or buy the 26T inner ring?

iainc

^^^ my old legs need all the help they can get 🙂

38T now sold, so all good

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XT ring compatability query ?’ is closed to new replies.