Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XT rear brake.. Bled well, no leeks but still not good.. Options?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

So they’re in good shape.. The lever was recently replaced and by Merlin cycles and then they were checked over. I bled them a month ago and spent hours leaning, flicking etc to get every last bubble out..

I checked them a few days ago and one or two little bubble came out but not enough to concern me.. The pads are new, the brakes work but the bite point keeps changing.. Sometimes a little closer to the bar than I’m happy with.

What are my options to sort this? Pistons damages, dirty Pistons, new stiffer hoses??

So tempted just to give up and buy some hopes!

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Just buy the Hopes

benpinnick

Did you take the caliper off and bleed that with a syringe?

crispyrice

Have you checked for any other vegetables?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

How old/worn is the disc rotor? Ive found that can play havoc with shitmano brakes.

scotroutes

If the bite point is changing (and not always moving in the same direction) then the most likely culprit is air, i.e. your bleed wasn’t as successful as you think.

robhughes
    Free Member

Apply some cheese sauce and a little paprika.Works for me every time. 😀
    Seriously though just fire it back to merlin.They’ve replaced both of mine as mine too where haunted by wee gremlins.

bigjim

It can be hard to get all the air out the caliper especially if you’ve been bleeding it still on the frame

danjthomas
    Free Member

I have the shimano ice tech rotors.. How much ware is too much..

poah
    Free Member

use a zip tie to hold the lever down all night and the air should move to the lever then bleed from that.

rOcKeTdOg

Does it still happen if you’re riding in Wales?

danjthomas
    Free Member

zip tie idea sounds good.. With the cap off or on..

maxtorque

i assume i’m way too late to add any more vegetable based puns to this thread???

poah
    Free Member

just pull the lever hard and put the ziptie on to hold it there. you want the system under pressure to force the air up.

somafunk

The vid below shows how to get a decent bleed

[video]https://youtu.be/9ZYmW8i8TWQ[/video]

danjthomas
    Free Member

Leeks…. Doh

Davesport

Are the rotors knocking the pads back ? If the rotors are deformed they’ll push the pads back into the calipers. This causes long lever travel and it’s overcome by pumping the brake. Pump the lever quickly several times in quick succession and see it the bite point comes further out.

D.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XT rear brake.. Bled well, no leeks but still not good.. Options?’ is closed to new replies.