Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • XT pad retaining bolt loose
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

It’s not tightening to the caliper thread. Tried the other bolt and that’s the same, so it’s the caliper thread, not the bolt. Can’t even remember when I bought them (think it was two years ago) or where from (haven’t kept the receipt). Will I have to buy new to replace, or will LBS send the bugger back to Madison?

jonba
    Free Member

How much does it bother you. Check the shimano tech docs because the SLX and Deore versions just use a cheap split pin to hold the pads in place. I believe the designs are very similar and they use the same pads.

This may work for you. Split pins can be found very cheaply in DIY shops or ebay. Would save you the hassle of not having a brake for a few weeks while people look at it.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

True, split pin might be the solution, rather than having to replace a perfectly good brake otherwise.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+1 for using a split pin instead.

Pretty sure I have a couple spare.

Yours for £1.50 posted.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Slx caliper has the threads too. Calipers are identical.

FOG

Beware of split pins though! The one in my rear brake disappeared on the black descent at Golspie last week spitting the pads onto the track. Luckily I realised there was a problem before I grabbed the lever hard enough to cause the Pistons to pop out. Amazingly a walk back up the track found the pads and the spring but not the pin. We did bodge a replacement out of a key ring which lasted the rest of the weeks riding. To be fair this is the first problem I have ever had with split pins and as I had recently put some new pads in I have to suspect mechanic error.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Cheers Alan, email address to pay you via PayPal?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Yes please (gift if you could please)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bend the end of a split pin right and should never pop out.

I’ve switched to split pins on my SRAM brakes as the standard alloy pins round off easy, and one time the head snapped off and had to get the thing drilled out. Split pins are easy, secure and cheap. Though do need pliers of some kind when you want to change pads.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Cheers Alan, £ with you now.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Got it, Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘XT pad retaining bolt loose’ is closed to new replies.