Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XT M8000 shifter with SRAM cassette/mech
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Does this work?
    I’ve had a search but can’t find a definitive answer.

So if I replace my SRAM 11 speed shifter for a Shamano XT 11 speed shifter will it work correctly without any major hassle.

Also is there a cheaper option to the SRAM XG-1180 cassette (I’m new to SRAM stuff!)

otsdr
    Free Member

No, the Shimano shifter will not work with a SRAM mech, use a SRAM GX one.

For the cassette you can look at XG-1175/1150.

DickBarton

Does the Sram 11-spd stuff work with a shimano 11-spd cassette?

honourablegeorge

DickBarton – Member
    Does the Sram 11-spd stuff work with a shimano 11-spd cassette?

Yep

DickBarton

Sweet…saves a small fortune when mine wears out!

honourablegeorge

DickBarton – Member
    Sweet…saves a small fortune when mine wears out!

Depends – you’ll need a different freehub for a Shimano cassette – might not save much if you need to buy that too

benpinnick

I’d stick with the GX 1150 cassette – lighter, tougher (I believe based on experience so far), no cassette bite, and most importantly that extra nearly 10% range, and coming in as low as £76 and dropping its not really much more than XT11 anymore.

windysurfer
    Free Member

So the make of shifter must match the make of rear mech, cassette make doesn’t matter.Correct?

benpinnick

Maybe. I had to replace a guys XTR shifter a few weeks back with a GX after he bust it seeding at a race, it worked pretty well. Possibly better than the original. The manufacturers claim incompatibility but I am not convinced its not all interchangeable. Need more testing!

DickBarton

Hmmm, the Sram cassette prices are dropping? I’m nearly £200 for mine (something I’m really regretting not checking when I bought the bike!)…so if the GX can be had for much much less then that might also work.

benpinnick

Yeah – lots of different levels same principles:

1150 (GX) – All steel (Which is good for wear), all pinned. Currently <£80 390g
    1175 (GX)- 10 steel, 1 alu cog, all pinned. 325g OE only
    1180 (x1) – 10 steel 1 alu cog, 8 pinned, 3 billet 315g
    1195 (x01) – 10 steel 1 alu cog, all billet bar the alu 270g
    1199 (xx1) – 10 steel 1 alu cog, all billet bar the alu 265g

So in summary all but the cheapest is lighter than XTR, with a bigger range. The 1150 is still lighter than XT and as prices come down its way more viable to run SRAM 11spd now… if thats what you want to do.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

In my experience there is no compatibility issues with running a combination of SRAM and Shimano (11 speed only). I currently have x0 11 spd gripshift with m9000 cassette and a xtr mech, it work brilliantly and although I don’t have the range I wanted closer ratios and a shimano free hub body. I also have friends who run the shimano shifters with the a SRAM cassette – this also works a treat.

windysurfer
    Free Member

I also have friends who run the shimano shifters with the a SRAM cassette – this also works a treat.

With a Shimano rear mech or SRAM?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘XT M8000 shifter with SRAM cassette/mech’ is closed to new replies.