Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT Hub (M775) – Drag problem…
  • OmarSharif
    Free Member

Ok, so my 5 month old XT freehub (M775) seems to have knackered itself.

At the end of a ride over the weekend, I was made acutely aware of a heavy amount of resistance in the freewheel, like the bearings were too tight. Only they weren't…

I took it down to the shop, had the mechanic open it up, clean it, re-build it and vouch that nothing seemed broken, and it was alright for a few hours… till it happened again.

Repeat scenario twice.

It's feels like a really heavy drag, sort of like chain suck, only not, like riding whilst holding down the brake. I can't figure out what the problem is, and neither can another mechanic, of another shop, whom I've visited for a second opinion.

Looks like it's getting sent off for warranty 🙁

Anyone else had or heard of anything similar?
    I'm a bit pissed, seeing as its less than 5 months old and hasn't really seen that much riding at all, especially as XT's supposed to be as reliable as they come….

Grrr!! 👿

alanf
    Free Member

A mate had a siilar dragging problem and it turned out his axle had snapped in the middle of the hub.
    Sounds like that hasn't happened to yours though.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sound very similar to a problem I had a long time back, hub tightened up so adjusted the cones, all felt fine until 100m down the road it tightened up again.
    The freehub mounting bolt had worked loose, and was pressing the bearings tight into the cone. Once tightened it never re-occured on this hub. I've come across it on other's hub since,but not everybody's lucky, some needing a new hub due to damaged threads.

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Same thing has happened to two rear wheels with XT hubs, all within one year of buying…….

Hope pro 2's for me now. Sorry not much help 😕

stonemonkey
    Free Member

This must be why i am so slow

OmarSharif
    Free Member

Update to this story:

I ended up sending the wheel back to Merlin, who have once again proved their excellence by re-building it with a brand new hub free of charge, yippee!

Apparently there's been a recurring problem with a batch of the hubs so Shimano, or Madison, or who-ever, are replacing them straight off under warranty.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Poor Merlin (but yeay for them with good service as usual) having to swallow the build costs.

scaredypants

coatesy has it, I believe/IMO/IME/YMMV/LOLZ etc

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

+1 Scaredypants.

It could only be cone+locknut or freehub allen bolt, assuming nothing is broken/ missing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT Hub (M775) – Drag problem…’ is closed to new replies.