Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XT Front Mech 28.6 -Which one ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

As above really, which XT front mech do i need to buy thats suitable for a 28.6 top pull, is it the 770 or 771 ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think most are multi-fit now but on merlin:

771 : The regular Multi-fit band clamp assures easy and secure fit on any frame type, with adapters to suit seat tube sizes 34.9, 31.8 and 28.6 mm

770: New multi size design fits 31.8 and 34.9 frames

771 Bottom Swing 770 top swing – both are top and bottom pull – so depends on your frame?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Its the Merlin site that is confusing me !

It needs to be top pull, dont know about the swing, its a Cotic Soul, i thought they were all universal but the 770 just states the 2 sizes ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can use either as both are top pull ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=20684

Just get the Top pull Dual pull 28.6 on the CRC site maybe?

You can use a top pull or bottom pull on a HT like that IMO?

stumpy01

I had this dilemma yesterday.

I think most of them will function as top or bottom pull, and the difference is the type of swing, with either the clamp sat high & the mechanical hanging from it or the clamp about level with the rest of the gubbins.

Not sure what the advantage/disadvantage of the different swings are.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Cheers, my main issue was with sizes as Merlin only spec the larger sizes on the 771, but looking about you can get the 771 in a 28.6 too.

I cant see the advantage of the 770 over the 771 on a HT, suppose its out of the way a little and would be suitable for a stub seat tube on FS frames.

PaulD
    Free Member

Hi there.

I have 2x new-old-stock boxed XT M738 28.6mm top-pull conventional front mechs for sale at £17 each posted (paypal gift).

They weigh in at 137g and are truly things of beauty.
    All the new ones except XTR are bloaters, nearer 180g.

Conventional swing is much longer lasting (I have an LX300 from 1991 on a hybrid that has done >50,000 miles) and keep working when top-swing is covered in mud and simply will not drop to the granny for that monster climb!

Interested?

Anyone else?

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

foxyrider
    Free Member

Conventional swing is much longer lasting (I have an LX300 from 1991 on a hybrid that has done >50,000 miles) and keep working when top-swing is covered in mud and simply will not drop to the granny for that monster climb!

+1 For conventional 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

+1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XT Front Mech 28.6 -Which one ?’ is closed to new replies.