• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tasm.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • xt disc brakes
  • tasm

anyone got any advice as to how to stop my resin “finned” disc brake my pads glazing over, whenever I store my bike for a few days. I usually sand down the pads and try and run the brakes “in” until they “bite”, most times it works, but I do some road riding and find when I get my mtb out on the weekend, the brakes howl like a pig….any help would be good

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this as I’ve just bought a new XT rear and was wondering if the stock (finned) pads are any good, or whether to swap them out for something else…?

slparsons
    Free Member

I’m using the pads mine came with and I think they work great. I get no howling after a period of non use either.

legend
    Free Member

My other half’s XTs have been behaving exactly as you describe. The other day I noticed that it looks like both bleed nipples might be weeping ever so slightly, which is eventually getting to the pads. I’ve cleaned them up, made sure they’re tight (tighter than they should be now) and will be keeping an eye on them. Currently having to remove the pads after riding to make sure nothing gets on them.

It looks more like the pads are the symptom rather than the cause.

tasm

thanks for the advice, i’ll look into the bleed nipple as my first set of xt brakes had a problem with the front calliper seals, so maybe the nipples are the cause…if I find a solution i’ll post it .as regards to if the pads are any good, when they are working they are powerful as they stop me and I’m a fat git 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘xt disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.