Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XT Disc brake alternative.
  • luddite
    Free Member

Was going to buy a pair of XT disc brakes, post mount, but is there others that are recommended?

I can push the budget a bit and was briefly considering XTR trail.

I’m not after bling but good modulation/power/reliability hence cconsidering XT over XTR.

chrisdw
    Free Member

If you’re getting xt. Might as well get slx and save the money. Or if you want more power get zee.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Might as well get SLX as XT. (Beaten to it)

If it’s good modulation your after then look at Hope, Shimanos
    Servo wave (cam mechanism) takes away some of the feel imo, they’re not linear.

(note XTR Race levers don’t have servo wave)

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just to add, the big issue with Shimano is the lack of spares, damage a caliper or lever and you’ll have to replace the part complete, it would be expensive to replace XTR, for those reasons I would go with Hope

sofatester
    Free Member

I’m not after bling but good modulation/power/reliability

As above just go for SLX

Not sure what kind of riding you do. Though for general trail center thrashing and home counties mincing they’re more than enough.

kayak23

dirtydog – Member
    Just to add, the big issue with Shimano is the lack of spares, damage a caliper or lever and you’ll have to replace the part complete

True, but the replacement units are pretty cheap. 23 quid or so for an XT lever.

I like Xt brakes. Used them for several years now.

sillyoldman

dirtdog – you can get lever spares (like blades, bleed screws, separator units etc etc) no problem. You can’t get calliper spares such as pistons or seals, but given the cost of replacement callipers inc seals and pistons it’s not an issue.

You also need spares less often with Shimano compared to most others.

mjsmke

Got some Sram Guids and they are amazing.

dirtydog
    Free Member

True, but the replacement units are pretty cheap. 23 quid or so for an XT lever.

Agreed at XT/SLX level, wouldn’t want to have to replace XTR though.

dirtdog – you can get lever spares (like blades, bleed screws, separator units etc etc) no problem.

If that’s the case then no reason not to go XTR, as mentioned above would go for the Race version as they don’t have servo wave and would give a more linear feel.

sillyoldman

dirtdog – as above – spares all available for lever assemblies.

andylc
    Free Member

Repeat of an earlier post but I can concur that SRAM Guides are brilliant.

mattbee

I’m now on Guide RS after a few years of SLX.
    Really impressed and unlike the old Avids I had the displeasure of owning, the bleed process was painless and resulted in a brake that feels just as good as before.
    They have been consistent, quiet and powerful but with better modulation than the Shimano. I’m impressed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XT Disc brake alternative.’ is closed to new replies.