Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Xt clutch massive fail = broke
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anyone else had this? I thought bike was clattering a bit more than usual then when I randomly looked down I thought I had the clutch switched off…. After the descent I checked and it was on… I released the switch and there was no tension switched it back on no tension the chain movement was exactly the same on or off

So I undo the screws on the cover and low and behold the inner clutch the thing that tightens up or slackens off has just shearded off , it’s the piece of metal that you asjust the tension with a allen key has just clean shearded off …. It literally fell out when I opened it up…..

I’ve only had it about 5 weeks or so it was fitted by lbs and luckily bought at lbs, I’m truly hoping its a warranty issue????? Please some one tell me it will be

And it must have happened tonight as I lost the chain straight after for the first time ever with narrow wide front ring but it was a Rocky peak fast descent

carlos
    Free Member

Gutted mate. Where was that then, on the cheeky you were heading to?

You think you’ll get it sorted for Sunday?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Carlos no mate it happened just as I got to BoO heading back, proper gutted, should be fine mate for sun, ill just have to run the descents in 1st gear to keep chain tight ish lol, I’m hopeful shop will sort it before then, fingers crossed!

Realman that sounds exactly like mine then although mine wasn’t adjustable as soon as i opened it up it just fell out that metal piece cleanly cut/shearded

Did you get it done under warranty pal?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Real man just saw your thread is from a few hours back 😆

Was thinking it was from ages ago!! Eerily creepy!

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah it happened a few days ago actually, just taken me a while to actually take it apart and find out what was going on. Emailed the place I got it from but haven’t heard back yet, although expecting it to be pretty straight forward.

carlos
    Free Member

Bummer, take it youv’e not got a spare, but saying that the shops very good with stuff, so should get sorted.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I hope they don’t try claim user error as I literally haven’t touched mine since it was setup by lbs….. Truly gutted though, I can’t understand how it’s happened though not the foggiest

So has your cam/adjustment screw piece of metal completely come off like mine? So you can hold the piece of metal with adjustment screw one end and the circular bit at the other? That you can literally hold in your hand?

br
    Free Member

You can break a mech just as easily on its first ride as on its thousandth… I did one on Sunday along with twisting the hanger (with is unfortunately also the frame…).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No mate I sold the xtr one a while back 🙁

It still works fine though shift wise it’s just like a normal mech , I’m sure it will be ok worst case leaving it on for Sunday as I was descending BoO I was in 10 th gear so the chain was at its slackest I reckon ill be able descend Sunday fine as its mostly flat and smooth

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

You can break a mech just as easily on its first ride as on its thousandth… I did one on Sunday along with twisting the hanger (with is unfortunately also the

Yeh I know but this has absolutely nothing to do with me bashing it it setting it up wrong something’s gone wrong inside the mech , I’d accept it and take it on the chin if it was due to crashing or whacking it against something but it simply hasn’t

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just sent a few pics into the shop – its a week turnaround with madison, but thats if they will even warranty it 🙁

luckily the shop have got a slx medium clutch they can fit me tomoz in time for BH riding 🙁 it actually looks neater/nice than the xt IMO

hopefully it will get warrantied or im just going to bite the bullet and stick a full on xx1 group on my CC!!!!!!!!

really pee’d off i know these things happen and id hold my hands up if id mangled it, but its not even that old (5 weeks) and totally happened out of the blue 🙁

wellywheels
    Free Member

Mine broke, just the same way as you described yours.

bit naff really!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wellywheels did you get it replaced under warranty???

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Same here, mine broke in exactly the way you described after a couple of months. Previously to that it had loosened and I’d had to tighten it a few times. Replaced under warranty.

creamegg
    Free Member

Following this mornings ride mine needs tightening up. Ive removed the cap- do i tighten the silver screw which has a bolt head? (Its not an allen screw as mentioned above). Theyre xt’s btw

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

agentdagnamit – Member
    Same here, mine broke in exactly the way you described after a couple of months. Previously to that it had loosened and I’d had to tighten it a few times. Replaced under warranty.

nice! cheers, did you get a response as to why it happened? im sure it will get sorted

im going to buy the only slx medium cage one they have in stock at the lbs in the mean time and then probably get a refund from the shop for the xt one when it (hopefully!) gets replaced!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

creamegg – Member
    Following this mornings ride mine needs tightening up. Ive removed the cap- do i tighten the silver screw which has a bolt head? (Its not an allen screw as mentioned above). Theyre xt’s btw

sorry cremeegg, its not an allen key, its a screw you need to turn, i was in late last night when posted the thread and tired, and pee’d off! just turn the screw to tighten it, you may need some really thin nosed pliers to get in there

creamegg
    Free Member

Thanks

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Xt clutch massive fail = broke’ is closed to new replies.