• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XT brakes
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hello all,

I just bought some XT brakes to fit to my bike, all very exciting except that having opened the front I’ve found that they’ve provided a left hand not rightnhand set. I’ve checked the order and i definately ordered normal right hand front brakes.

I’ve checked and the rear sent is a right hand rear.

The levers seem to be pretty much identical, and they have arrived as seperate parts, ie 2 levers and 2 calipers with hoses attached. Having read the instructions, it seems a fairly simplemprocess to attach the appropriate parts together.

Now the two levers look identical, except from being mirrored. Does anyone know if they definitely are, and if so can I just attach the levers to the calipers the way I want to, ie front right lever, rear left.

If I can avoid the hassle of returning them that is preferable!

Cheers

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

probably a euro set, just take an 8mm wrench and remove the hose and put it in the correct lever and snug it up, should be bob on then, may need a bleed, but more than likely will be fine if you keep the lever level and hose below the lever.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

That’s what I was hoping to hear.

Excellent 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

You might need a new olive set, as they are pressure set when you bolt them into the handle.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I do it all the time. Keep everything level and switch as quick as possible and I’ve never had to bleed them. I must have done it fifty times last year.

jimw
    Free Member

You may need to shorten the hoses, then you need olives etc. still unlikely to need bleeding if you are careful. I have done six sets, each euro spec swapped and shortened and needed to bleed just one (due to innattention)

Bleeding is simple with the right kit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XT brakes’ is closed to new replies.