Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Xt bb bearings question
  • kiwifiz
    Free Member

One for the techies…..just switched the inner chainring on my 2011 10 speed XT crankset (12 months since fitted) when noticed the drive side bearing feels slightly rough on rotation compared to completely smooth on non drive side…..with crank back in it spins smoothly with no noticeable problems on the stand. Problem or not? …..new to the world of more involved bike mechanics and not sure what to look for as clues that the BB is on its way out in real
    world terms… noise/vibe through crank under load? any help/advice for a newbie DIYer very much appreciated…..

Jeffus
    Free Member

I would check for play , holding each end of the crank arm try to rock them against the axle/bearing should be no play, to me sounds like they are on the way out, I would change them while the bike is being serviced,if the bearings are rough they will eventually have play in them. You can pick them up fairly cheap around £20 for Shimano.

captaindanger

you can change the bearings themselvwes which is cheaper, google it.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Thanks guys……rock solid, no play that I can feel. Have spotted the bearing swop out online but see you can get a whole new bracket for £27.00 on a quick google so will eventually go down that route…..seems fine for now

kiwifiz
    Free Member

p.s stumbled across whole xt crankset (3×10) 2011 175mm Crank with BB for £114.00 after £12.00 pound off current promo at CRC……that seems like pretty good value……But of course you then have to make sure you have 10 speed mechs and chain!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Xt bb bearings question’ is closed to new replies.