Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • XP home security 2011
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help out with this, I haven’t stopped for days and have no idea what I’m doing!

I seem to have this thumbs.db in a lot of my picture folders

Should I be deleting all of them?

Hi kaesae

Go here

Microsoft Update Agent

Download it.

Then go start>run browse to the file which you just downloaded/saved put a space then /wuforce and then ok it.

jwt
    Free Member

Try SPYBOT S&D (as I mentioned earlier in the thread…..), it seemed to work for me.

kaesae
    Free Member

I just tried to change the name of a video I rencently shot and it’s said that if I change it the video might not work.

I changed it anyway and the video is unuseable, this thing is a real pain in the ass!

kaesae
    Free Member

bimbler I don’t understand the instructions. once I locate the file on my pc I should change the file name and include /wuforce?

also where should I get spy bot search and destroy from ❓

clubber
    Free Member

I just tried to change the name of a video I rencently shot and it’s said that if I change it the video might not work.

That’s windows – standard message if you try to change the file extension eg change a file called “video.mpg” to “video” without the extension (.mpg) or so on. To fix it, you need to rename from “video” back to “video.mpg” or .avi or whatever it was before.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you go back to my earlier post and follow the instructions in the link it will clear the nasty out. I know it works because I used it just the other day to remove an identical bug on my daughters netbook

You are not making it easy for yourself keeping on buggering about with this and that rather than listening to advice and acting upon it

Bimbler
    Free Member

kaesae – Member

bimbler I don’t understand the instructions. once I locate the file on my pc I should change the file name and include /wuforce?

also where should I get spy bot search and destroy from

You don’t need to do this step unless Windows is reporting that Auto Update is turned off and you can’t turn it back on, as was the case with me.

Basically download the file I linked – remember where you save it to.

Click on start button.

Go to Run command which will be on the right hand side of the start menu (not in all programs menu)

Click on Browse.

Browse to where you saved the file above. Choose the file.

Add the space /wuforce command. Click OK.

This will force the MS update program to reinstall itself. Reboot. MS update should now be working.

Hope this works – this won’t get rid of any vestiges of the virus/malware but will fix windows update.

kaesae
    Free Member

It now says

wusetup.exe is not a valid win32 application

Bimbler
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

” I run McAfee and it’s updated all the time “

My father has been subscribing to McAfee and I had the exact same conversation with him yesterday.

Both his desktop and laptop were running very slow. I ran malwarebytes on both and found 3 viruses on each machine… even though he had just scanned both machines earlier that morning with McAfee which had just been updated.

So now deleted crappy McAfee and put Microsoft Security Essentials on both machines. Not surprisingly both machines now run much much quicker than they did with McAfee and now should hopefully be better protected than with McAfee. Still suggested he should run malwarebytes every so often.

kaesae
    Free Member

Thanks to you bimbler, that’s it sorted, now for everyone who has pitched in and help me sort this shit out, does anyone want one of my bushing tools and a couple of spare bushes ❓

Off out to enjoy the rest of my day! WOOT!!!!

kaesae
    Free Member

This **** ING thing has returned, only now it’s the 2012 version. Borrowing some photo’s online for my bearing kits and I’ve had to nook the **** ER again 😯

xherbivorex
    Free Member

people are always writing variants of things like this, same as viruses basically.
    there’s a chance it wasn’t completely gone in the first place, but that’s by the by now. once you’ve cleaned it again, i’d suggest either setting up a scheduled scan (not sure you can do this with the free version though) or periodically (say, once a week) manually updating and scanning your machine with MBAM and/or spybotS&D.
    won’t guarantee you’ll never get infected again, but it’ll minimise the chances of it.
    FWIW i’ve never had one of these infections on any of my work or home PCs (9 in total!)…

oh, and i have a DHX3 air shock… ha!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘XP home security 2011’ is closed to new replies.