Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Xiaomi Mi 5 – worth the hassle?
  • bikemike1968
    Free Member

I’ve seen on some of the “what phone” threads that a few people have got a Xiaomi phone.
    It seems to be a lot of phone for your money but how much hassle is it to set up?
    I’m reasonably tech savvy but I am also thinking of getting one for my wife, who definitely isn’t. I’m happy I’d be able to get it up and running with Google play etc, but once it is set up will it need constant tinkering? Mrs Bikemike would soon lose patience if that was the case, she wants a phone that “just works”.
    Is the emui interface just too weird? Or do you soon get used to it?
    Sorry for the million questions!
    Any advice greatfully received,
    Mike

TheFlyingOx

Android phones are generally as much or as little hassle as you make them. Just get the basic Google apps on it and it’ll be the same as any other generic Android phone. EMUI looks OK, you can stick a different launcher on if you don’t get on with it – Nova Launcher is pretty decent and very customisable.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Is xda the best place to find a new launcher?

slackman99
    Free Member

Just Google Play for a new launcher. I use Nova which is very customisable.

bails

I’ve got a mi5. Just install the Google now or Nova launcher from the play store like any other app. Then go through the settings menu to set it as the default launcher. It’ll think for about 5 seconds and then it looks like any other android phone.

I’m really happy with mine btw. But buy a case as the back is very slippery.

Neb

I’ve a xiaomi Redmi 3, no hassle at all. I bought it from aliexpress, the seller put the European firmware on it, which includes Google play store.

I normally fiddle with custom ROMs etc, I’ve not bothered as miui8 is so good.

So in answer to your question, it’s no hassle at all.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Ok, now I’m torn.
    The Mi 5s is now only about £20 more than a Mi 5 – has anybody got one? Is it worth the extra?
    Ta!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with EMUI., just leave it alone for about a day and you’ll learn. I think it’s great, you might as well give it a try.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m after a Mi5s, anyone got any seller recommendations ?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m after a Mi5s, anyone got any seller recommendations ?

I’ve used this place to buy a few items:

http://www.gearbest.com/

Grey import but the price and delivery were spot on and never had any issues with import duty (took a while to arrive but it had a long way to travel !)

allthepies
    Free Member

Ping!

Mi5s is on the way.

Any recommendations for a tough case ?

bails
    allthepies
    Free Member

Ta, does it provide any rigidity ? Looks to be quite flexible and a weak point of the Mi5 is the frame strength so looking to beef it up a bit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Xiaomi Mi 5 – worth the hassle?’ is closed to new replies.