Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • XC tyres to replace Nobby Nics
  • jody
    Free Member

I will shortly be requiring some new tyres, not because they have worn out but gone porous. Not sure how as they are TLR but currently running Nobby Nic double defence. There are quite a few reports online with the same wet patches appearing all over the carcass and not just in the central tread. Not sure if this has been sorted on the newer version but it didn’t start happening until over 12 months into service so maybe they are too new for problems to show yet.

Would like a light weight (ish) tyre as they are going on an Anthem, with a similar tread depth to nic’s and aren’t overly draggy and ideally would prefer something other than Schwalbe. Typical riding is woodland, local singletrack, Peak District with a bit of gravel track. I don’t intend swapping for winter/summer etc so need a ‘one tyres suits all’

grtdkad

I swear by Schwalbe for our local riding (Malvern) …

Try a Nic on the front and a Rocket Ron on the rear. Really predictable and fast rolling (or put a Ron on the front too at this time of the year and save the Nic for when it gets a bit claggy).

jody
    Free Member

Its the porous thing that puts me off Schwalbe. They have been fairly good apart from that but it aggrieves me to throw a tyre away that is showing such a small amount of wear.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardents maybe? 2.4 front, 2.25 rear dual version with EXO sidewalls were good all-rounders when I ran them although they do get out of their depth on really wet muddy rooty stuff, if any of your riding involves that.

jody
    Free Member

Don’t think I would get 2.4’s under the fork but will have a look at other size Ardents. I don’t ride much if its massively muddy so they are worth a look.

jonnyrockymountain

bontrager xr3 or xr2 team issue versions

barrykellett
    Free Member

Vittoria Barzo

jonny-m
    Free Member

Continental X King protection, end of !
    Thank me later

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

barrykellett – Member
    Vittoria Barzo

That.
    Used to swear by Schwalbe, but since I’ve swapped to Vittoria I’ve had no flats or ripped tyres.

iainc

Similar riding here in West of Scotland. My Soul has Spesh Purgatory rear/Butcher front and Anthem SX has Nobby Nics. The Soul does all the winter and mud slogging and the Anthem the dryer stuff. Haven’t yet found anything more versatile for my type of riding than the Nics.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup Vittoria Barzo TNT bomb proof, easy tubeless, grippy and fast.

They’ve survived the Dyfi Enduro, dyfi forest, 24 hours at Mayhem, Scott Marathons and normal xc gnar shred fests in the local woods.

Mega tyres

guystabler
    Free Member

All my schwalbe tyres have small ‘wet patches’ on them but no issues with them. They keep air in and plenty of sealant in them. Don’t think it is a defect and would not replace them just because of that?

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve had Nics for the last few years but since riding a hire bike at BPW with the Bontrager XR something Team tyres on I’d probably give them a go. They were pretty awesome.

welshfarmer

Conti X-king up front and a race king out back, both in Black Chilli Protection flavour. Just trialling it on my FS bike for summer and very impressed so far. If you aren’t riding rocky stuff you might be able to drop the Protection to save some weight.

On the orienteering race HT I have been running a mountain king Protection front and a maxxis Ikon rear. Almost 2 years on the bike and never had a flat (tubeless) and they have done everything from 60 k tarmac races with odd bit of gravel, to full-on rocky gnarfest descents. Ikon just starting to lose its edges, the MK still like new.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘XC tyres to replace Nobby Nics’ is closed to new replies.