Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • xc running
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

thinking of doing some xc running to burn some belly fat and cross training ,whats your thoughts I have plenty of trails with hills to help . How long should I go for for the first few runs ? cheers

Richie

craa22uk

get some grippy shoes, innovate or brashers – but watch out they have much less bounce than running shoes so on roads or hard trails they might give you lower leg/shin/knee gyp – start like regular jogging, walk run for a few k with less climbs and build up

have fun

3bikeman
    Free Member

I spent the last 6 weeks running approx 15-18 miles a week instead of riding, training for the 9 mile Grizzly cub run along the Devon coast – had a good cub run with np problems but!came back to biking this weekend thinking I would be mega fit to find it extremely hard work with no seemingly benefits from all my running. I found combining running with biking caused me calf muscle problems. I did enjoy the XC trail running – good inspirational magazine ‘trail runner’ is worth a read. Now getting miles in for the HONC!

downshep

Take it gently at first and increase distance, speed, terrain very gradually. Softer ground far more forgiving for impacts too but watch out for yer ankles. Worst thing about decent cardio fitness from biking is that you think you can run miles until your legs tell you otherwise. (Says he sat at home with strained calves!)

cp

start really easy. Have you any experience of road running? If not, then I wouldn’t be doing more than a couple of miles for the first few runs, and at that, I’d go for a combination of walking and running, prob 50-50. Build up no more than 10% a week on distance. If you feel any aches and pains continue through to the next planned run, be careful and consider holding back a little. running off road is much nicer on feet and joints, but be careful of uneven ground.

Avoid the hills if you can until you’ve built up to doing say 4-5 miles comfortably, and have been running for 3months or so – the increased strain on your calves is huge!

So long as the ground isn’t very muddy or slippy, you can just use road running shoes to get you started. If you do get some new shoes, ignore advice to get particular brands, go to a good running shop to get sorted properly – within a particular brand, there is a huge range of fits.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you’re starting running from scratch:

10mins maximum.

twice a week maximum.

do that for 2 weeks, and see how you feel.

you may be able to ride for hours, but your feet, ankles, knees, hips, back, etc. won’t thank you if you go too far too fast.

You’re only as strong as your weakest joint, and right now you don’t know what that is.

running off road is fun, but technical ground is brilliant at spraining ankles, shoes with thin soles reduce the chance, but these can take some getting used to.

10mins – twice a week, run nicely – not quickly.

run somewhere nice, enjoy it!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ilkley Moor (ba tat) is my regular jaunt.
    Just the same as above really, for the first 4-6 weeks start off on flat or gentle rolling terrain, doing short runs. Gradually build up to longer and steeper stuff. Buy some proper XC shoes if terrain is boggy and greasy, otherwise normal trainers are ok. maybe get a 1:25k OS map of the area and plan some different circuits to keep it interesting.

finbar
    Free Member

The XC season has finished until Autumn.

sefton
    Free Member

Take it easy BUILD YOUR MILEAGE UP VERY SLOWLY OR YOU WILL GET INJURED.

take a look on the FRA website (its fell running but you’ll get some quality advice of a great bunch of people).

oh and go to a proper running shop and get the correct shoes that fit YOU! Soloman speedcross are a good all rounder IMO.

phinbob

I’d find an event that is 8-12 weeks away (there are some trail runs even if the spikes and singlets season is over). It’s a real motivation to get out and run.

As everyone else says, start easy. If you have decent aerobic fitness it’s quite easy to overdo it and get injured, as I found out when trying out barefoot. Watch out for Achilles injuries, especially if you do too much hill stuff.

It’s a great way to keep up the fitness, mixed with some riding too as it’s just more time effiecient, you can be finished in an hour and changed/showered and still have had a reasonable workout.

sefton
    Free Member

yep I started off great entered a few races didn’t listen to my body and I’ve not fell ran/raced for over 9months (patella tendinitis)…its a good job I can still cycle or things would be very depressing!

be sensible!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘xc running’ is closed to new replies.