Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XC Ride for 5 days around the highlands next summer.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Any suggestions for an excellent route in the highlands maybe including a bit of skye that would take a group with average fitness 5 days ish? Could be a combo of bivvies and boarding etc. Not done anything similar before up there so open to best advice thanks.

Ideally nice ride each day stopping where a pub is in the evo.

tjagain

What sort of level of Gnarr? How many miles a day? Highlands routes tend to be either estate roads that are 4wd passable or go good path / gnarly path / hikabike / as they get higher reversing on the way down

I know a load of multiday routes of the non gnarly estate road type – not that they are all dull. I have sworn off hikabike routes

As a rough rule of thumb – if its marked as double track on the map its probably rideable. Marked as singletrack could be anything from estate road to nothing there at all. google earth often gives good clues as does geograph

scotroutes

There’s little MTB on Skye and what there is doesn’t really link up to make a good route.

I’d have a look at the Highland Trail 550 route and perhaps consider 1 or 2 of the 3 loops – eg start at Fort Augustus and do the middle loop.

With an idea of fitness and how much hike-a-bike you’re prepared to do I could maybe suggest something else – a coast-to-coast perhaps?

Happy to do it by PM too if that helps.

tjagain

How much road linking bits are you prepared to do as well?

ton

roybridge – aviemore
    aviemore – pitlochry
    pitlochry – killin
    killin – kingshouse
    kingshouse – roybridge

did this loop. huge amounts of proper offroad, and some nice road bits too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

thanks guys I’ll do a bit more research and come back if I may.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XC Ride for 5 days around the highlands next summer.’ is closed to new replies.