• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Leon.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • XC racer types – any using wide bars? any issues?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’m just wondering what width bars people are generally using for XC, and in particular if anyone has any issues going to wider bars (e.g. passing people, although I can’t see really how a few cm will make much difference).

Last time I raced, I had 680mm bars.Now I’ve got 750mm.

Leon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the course, you’d not be popular if you hold people up whilst you stop to thread them through the gaps in the trees 😛

Mine are 680 ish, haven’t done an XC race in 6 years.

qwerty
    Free Member

I know of some petite women running 720mm in UCI XCO Elite teams. Not sure if that’s classed as w i d e these days.

Leon
    Free Member

well I’ve ridden them round the course, so I know they fit through everything. I’ve still got some narrow little 710mm bars somewhere, which might make sense for twistier courses…

ferrals
    Free Member

I have 720 wide bars, and I do occasionally find them too wide on twisty singletrack. Keep thinking I’ll chop 5-10 mm off each side but can’t really be bothered

Kryton57

ferrals – Member
    I have 720 wide bars, and I do occasionally find them too wide on twisty singletrack. Keep thinking I’ll chop 5-10 mm off each side but can’t really be bothered

Exactly what he said.

Leon
    Free Member

I guess the difference racing is that you don’t always get to choose the perfect line, and sometimes you’re trying to squeeze around people.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did a few races on a 785mm bar last year.

Didn’t take anyone out but felt a bit inefficient.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The extra bits on the cannock xc course are bloomin’ narrow with 740’s! Did’nt have issues at any other of the nps venues though.

Yak

I went superwide all the way to 710mm last year. But then hit a tree and fell down an embankment, only stopping when I hit another tree. Obviously all down to bars and not the rider, ahem.

So I immediately cut them down to 685mm, like my old bars and everything is good again.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m on 720’s, not had an issue really other than Cannock as him up there says

slimjim78
    Free Member

Does 12mm either side really make that much difference?

ianpv
    Free Member

You’ll be fine Leon! Last few races I did in 2012 (including oktoberfest victory 8) ) were on 720s. You’re not riding the bird are you?!

thomthumb
    Free Member

FSA do XC bars in 740.

I’m running 740 on my XC bike- but I don’t race.

jemima
    Free Member

Yeah – watch a WC XC race on Red Bull TV – I was astounded by how wide some of the bars looked on that.

adsh
    Free Member

Used to run 660s, changed to 710s which I found more confidence inspiring. Got tired and hit a tree. The mark on the grip is about 2mm outboard of where 660 would be.

WC XC probably have more need of wider bars than I do at Gorricks!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The extra bits on the cannock xc course are bloomin’ narrow with 740’s! Did’nt have issues at any other of the nps venues though.

I swear the trailbuilders at Cannock were wronged by some 800mm bars in a past life. Even the labyrinth at Swinley is ride-able (if not as quick as with ‘XC’ bars) with 800mm bars!

schmiken

I’ve been running 700mm wide bars for while, feels good to me.

philjunior
    Free Member

How’re you ever gonna bar drag in front of the photographer in lycra if you don’t run 820s or bigger?

Leon
    Free Member

ianpv – no, the “narrow” 750’s are on my carbon hardtail!

At the moment, looks like I might be riding 6 hour solo as my team mates are dropping like flies. Was going to be a singlespeed team, but we were the only one, so got bumped into open men. Switching bike to stay competitive, as I know I’m a minute and half quicker with bigger wheels, suspension and gears.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘XC racer types – any using wide bars? any issues?’ is closed to new replies.