Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • XC 'race' hardtails – strong enough for general riding?
  • KennySenior
    Free Member

I’m sure this will seem like a stupid question to some, and an obvious question to others, but humour an old bloke who doesn’t buy a new bike very often!

With all the categories of bike now available, are what the manufacturers describe as XC race bikes plenty strong enough for a heavy (110kg), sometimes clumsy rider who, whilst he doesn’t really have any desire to leave the ground, does like to ride up and down plenty of singletrack, down rocky paths, winging down forest roads sliding round the bends with a foot stuck out, that sort of thing.

Bikes like the Trek Superfly AL or X-Caliber, are they up to this, or would it only be a matter of time before something broke?

Or would it be worth going for something more along the lines of the Stache or similar?

(Doesn’t have to be a Trek BTW, just that the LBS has them and can get them to demo)

Cheers

chiefgrooveguru

Strong enough but XC race geometry tends to be biased towards maximising line accuracy uphill at the expense of a more nervous feel downhill. Slacken off the head angle and a good XC racer may lose valuable seconds uphill whilst feeling more relaxed downhill but not going usefully faster. Something less race focused but almost as light may be a better bet for you!

KennySenior
    Free Member

OK cheers, any suggestions?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For your weight and riding style, it sounds like one of these new breed of long travel hradtails would suit you down to the ground. Don’t forget to budget for a Met Parachute aswell, as it’ll bring out the hooligan in you!

KennySenior
    Free Member

Like it! I’ve just bought a new Bell Sequence though

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice! I’ve just checked these out and I reckon you’ll be ok since they appear to be covered in an aggressive looking pattern which’ll tie in perfectly with the LT hardtail.

amplebrew

Life was much simpler when you only had to decide on frame size and maybe if you wanted to upgrade to a Girvin Flex Stem 8)

br
    Free Member

Bikes like the Trek Superfly AL or X-Caliber, are they up to this, or would it only be a matter of time before something broke?

One of my riding buddies has the Trek, I can’t get near him, especially when its rough.

mboy
    Free Member

Bear in mind XC race bikes are often designed for lightweight whippets to race XC on, and so aren’t built with especially durable components when compared to a more general allround trail bike.

Given your weight, I’d say an extra 1kg or so on the bikes overall weight for something built with more durable (don’t read overbuilt heavy DH style components here) parts would probably make sense.

Depends on your riding style though, if you’re very smooth you may well get away with lighter kit.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Nice! I’ve just checked these out and I reckon you’ll be ok since they appear to be covered in an aggressive looking pattern which’ll tie in perfectly with the LT hardtail.

TFFT – wouldn’t want to look soft

Life was much simpler when you only had to decide on frame size and maybe if you wanted to upgrade to a Girvin Flex Stem

And a Marin Muirwoods was luminous yellow and had a little pulley under the stem…

One of my riding buddies has the Trek, I can’t get near him, especially when its rough.

Which one does he have and is he fat big boned?

thejesmonddingo

I wouldn’t go superlight at 110kg,I’ve got a Whyte 905 frame,tricked out,currently 26lbs(on my calibrated fishing scales)which handles the Peak,the trails round Hebden Bridge,and is just good fun to ride.I can get the weight down by another pound or so,as I’m running Rubber Queens,but the geometry is good all round,and there is a huge choice of bikes these days,with slackish angles and a bit more than 100mm of travel.

jonba
    Free Member

Suggestions would be the classics off this forum if you wanted a hardtail.

Something by on-one inbred,456 or one of the carbon flavours. A carbon 456 meets most of the demands of light and fast.
    Cotic soul
    Dialled bikes Prince Albert (do they still make them?)
    Pipedream

Canyon must do something FS the Nerve AL and CF look nice.

Giant Anthem is XC orientated but people rate it highly.

fandango
    Free Member

Your style of riding (and vintage) seem similar to me. I recently picked up a Superfly Al and whilst the geo is very much designed around climbing, it is bloomin’ fast and fun down hills. A word of warning; whilst the frame seems strong, I think the wheels are made from cheese…. (and I’m only 70kg (ish))

KennySenior
    Free Member

Cheers fellas. Just looking at some of these suggestions.

Now, just to be sure, when Americans say ‘clyde’ they just mean lard arse, yes?

A word of warning; whilst the frame seems strong, I think the wheels are made from cheese..

Noted

amplebrew

Kenny Senior – Member
    Cheers fellas. Just looking at some of these suggestions.

Now, just to be sure, when Americans say ‘clyde’ they just mean lard arse, yes?

Yes, they mean heavier weight riders, like 200lbs.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a Cannondale Flash alloy, so a pretty light race orientated XC machine. I’m 90kg in my birthday suit and before I got my full Susser I was doing normal trail duties on it, including jumps, drops, pretty knarly rocky descents. The bike has stood up well to the abuse including my poor technique, a jumps and drops skills course and other things I shouldn’t be doing on it. However I would say the twitchy handling does mean you need to be super clean on your weight distribution management, and I’ve had a few scary moments on it where I’ve emerged unscathed through luck rather than skill. Also I wouldn’t say it is a fun bike. It’s a bit serious and straight laced. It wants you to be heads down and peddling efficiently and sensibly rather than with your arse hanging over the back wheel ‘sending it’. So the answer to your question is, yes, the bikes are robust, but if you’re going to be using it for more ‘trail’ duties then you’ll get more fun and enjoyment from a more relaxed bike.

monkeyboyjc

Like wobbliscott i’m also around 90kg and I ride a Canyon AL 29er – its around 25lbs and in the year I’ve had it I’ve not broken anything (yet) – I tend to treat it the same as any other bike I’ve had in the last 20yrs (from DH to long distance XC to 4x) and ride it as fast as I can to my limits.

Having said that if your not confident with your equipment (cough cough) then it wouldn’t be as much fun.

Wookster

I’m in at 110kgs, I’ve got an epic. It’s an ar$e up head down bike, it’s lightning fast, and my favourite bike. It’s a hand full at times as its steep and short travel so you’ll have to concentrate!! But it suits me and for what ever reason I’m faster on it that my longer travel slacker bike.

I did put a different set of wheels in it as the Rovals are made of cheese!! And I found a dropper made a huge difference to the handling and let me get the most out of the bike with my limited ability!!! 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like you want a race bike Kevin, CGG’s description is good, they’re optimised for speed not fun. Unless you’re racing for podium, that’s irrelevant.

I think you’re on the money with a Stache, also look at Kinesis FF29, Singular Buzzard, Cotic Solaris, Canfield Yelli Screamy.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Thanks. Can’t build it myself as it’ll be (predominantly) B2W. Local independent has Trek, Spesh or Scott, or there’s an Alpine bikes which can also get Genesis or Whyte.

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ in which case Stache or one of the short CS/slack HA Whytes.

LBS here has the cheaper Stache in the window (the bronze one), it’s a looker. But I like the look of the Whyte’s too. (Have ridden neither!)

mattjg
    Free Member

Sorry, I called you Kevin when plainly your name is Kenny!

KennySenior
    Free Member

No worries mike

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just buy an Anthem

KennySenior
    Free Member

Don’t really want FS though

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Didn’t think I wanted an FS until I got one! I think the hard tail will be on the classifieds in the not too distant future.

stufield
    Free Member

i’m about same weight, i’ve had various FS and HT frames from Trek 8000 and Cotic Souls, to Yeti 575 and Trek Rumblefish. I’m going back to a Yeti BigTop. The thing I’ve always concentrated on are wheels, several cheese wheels when I first got going. I’d rather have Deore and some Crossmax STs than XT and cheap nasty wheels.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘XC 'race' hardtails – strong enough for general riding?’ is closed to new replies.