Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • XC / Lightweight Trail bike for a 5'1" lady?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Any suggestions for Mrs Sideshow, whose Giant Trance size S is honestly still a bit big, heavy and long legged?

Budget around 1500, unless it’s *really* amazeballs; end of year sale and decent 2nd hand both considered but please consider this a “what should we be looking out for” rather than a “wanted” thread.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Might be a bit big, but a good deal..

Scott 2016 Genius 720 Plus Full Suspension Mountain Bike was £2900 now £1449 in Small

fifeandy
    Free Member

Might be a bit big, but a good deal..

Scott 2016 Genius 720 Plus Full Suspension Mountain Bike was £2900 now £1449 in Small[quote]Approximate Weight 13.8kg / 30.42lbs[/quote]
    Yeah, too big, really heavy and not really an XC/Trail bike at all – exactly what the OP was after.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Yeah but apart from that, it’s perfect 😉

paule
    Free Member

My wife is the same height and rides an xs giant. Looks like Pauls has some of the 2016 women’s FS bikes in that size, the lust 1 looks interesting at £1500

matt_outandabout

Mrs_OAB loves her Trek Superfly – was £1k on C2W after 30% off in sale last year. She is 5’1″, was almost on the 15″, but we went with 13.5″/XS. It needs some beefier tyres, the fork I dropped out oil and put some slightly lighter oil in to get it to respond better as her weight is below what the fork can / should have air pressure wise.

It is light, especially as a ‘non bling, no carbon’ bike.

I think there are some carbon versions on sale at momenent, but they are only a 100g or so lighter, and I think investing the money in seatpost/saddle/bars/cranks would be better.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LxFSxU]Laggan Wolftrax August 16[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

To add: we looked at FS, but nothing came close in terms of weight and good kit, or feel of acceleration on the trail. Sure a FS would be more comfy and controlled, but mrs_oab is about fun, not shredding teh gnar….

(Yes that is Laggan, that a few folk have told me can’t be ridden on HT).

fifeandy
    Free Member

Similar to the idea above, the new Alu Pro-Caliber might be a good call.
    Don’t think you’ll get a FS that’s not an anchor on your budget, and it only takes a look at the Womens XC WC to tell you that the lighter riders there select a HT much more often than the men as heavy bikes have much more impact on them.

sideshow
    Free Member

Don’t think you’ll get a FS that’s not an anchor on your budget

Hence my ‘unless its amazeballs’ comment – if there are brilliant deals on carbon around we’d consider a bit more

birky
    Free Member
    Tracey
    blakec
    Free Member

Bird zero tr in xs my other half has one and is of similar height. They also do demos to check it fits

https://www.bird.bike/product-category/complete-bikes/zero-tr-hardtail/

sideshow
    Free Member

Much though I would tout the benefits of hardtails, i think we’re looking at full suss

Ghost Lectors were only a bit over 1k in Carbon a couple of years ago, shame they had 0 mud clearance!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Female specific Canyon Neurons look decent.

dragon
    Free Member

Much though I would tout the benefits of hardtails, i think we’re looking at full suss

You’ll struggle to get a decent light FS on your budget. I’d second the suggestion of a Trek hardtail, the new Alu Pro-Caliber has the IsoSpeed decoupler rear, so a great compromise. Quoted weight for the Procaliber 6 womens 15.5″ is 26.50 lbs. But at ‘only’ £1300 new there is probably room for some better wheels to bring the overall weight down.

sideshow
    Free Member

Ok, so given the budget is flexible, what 120mm-ish full susser is good for a short lady if you’ve got £2500 to spend?

Kryton57

Pedelon have some Sparks, anthems and treks on sale within that price.

sideshow
    Free Member

If a small trance is currently a bit big will an anthem be any better?

ahwiles
    Free Member

at 5’1″, it’ll most likely be an XS, and at that size it’ll be a ‘Liv Lust’, as mentioned above.

MsWife has one, it’s too small for me to ride, but she says she really likes it…

mark90
    Free Member

Possibly too big but I have a small anthem for sale if it’s of any interest. Bristol area.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘XC / Lightweight Trail bike for a 5'1" lady?’ is closed to new replies.